free website stats program Primary Whining | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Whining

Went to the dealer today to see what they found out. They said it "tight" links in the primary chain and they called Harley and Harley told them they need to check the tolerances in main shaft and the clutch hub and replace the primary chain and both sprockets.
I clicked on a link the other day That glider posted for the Harley web site where you put your vin # and mileage in and it give you the service list. When I did that I got the service list plus

Product Notice: 0903: PRD PGM:TORQUE SMOOTH CALIBRN

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

When I asked the dealer what that was he told that it's where they go through a check list on the Digital Tech. and check the torque on various things and if I would have had my 10,000 mile service done at a dealership they would have done that.

Anyone else with an '07 might look into that, He said it only affects the '07's.:55:

Yes the 0903 download is only for the 07 bikes. It basically consists of a new download that changes the advance in the ECM to try to lessen the shock load and eliminate the noise in the 07 touring bikes.

I kind of thought he was full of it that's why I put the service manager symbol.:55:
He told me that was why my compensator came loose in the first place.:55::55::55:

I kind of thought he was full of it that's why I put the service manager symbol.:55:
He told me that was why my compensator came loose in the first place.:55::55:

The compensator problem is because of a poor design, listen to the bang on startup when the sprocket travels it's full length in the opposite direction and tell me how long they will last. That's why it came loose in the first place???? Ha! These guys must go to school for clown training.

I like the service manager symbol...very fitting for sure.:55:

still waiting for my bike to get fixed. First I was told they have to replace the primary chain and both the sprockets because they can't replace a chain with out replacing both sprockets. That sounded reasonable to me so I've been waiting for the parts to show up. Last Friday I called and they said they have 2 of the parts they ordered and are waiting the third part that was back ordered but released on 7/27. Today I go in and the manager says he has to show me something. It turns out the flywheel has a broken tooth and they have to replace that too. He says they have that in stock, but they have to get authorization from Harley before they put it on. Then he tells me that you can't even get just the flywheel that you have to replace the whole clutch hub. I said well if you have to replace the whole assembly wouldn't you be replacing the flywheel anyway since you were supposed to replace both primary sprockets? :eam He say what do you mean? I said you told me 3 weeks ago you were replacing the chain and both the sprockets and if you have to replace the assembly to replace the flywheel then you must have to replace the whole assembly when you replace the primary chain sprocket on the clutch hub. :naughty So he tells me Oh....well we were only replacing the compensator sprocket and the primary chain. So now I'm thinking hmm......I wonder what that 3rd part was they were waiting for was and how in the world do you not see a broken tooth on a flywheel until you go to put it back on.:bigsmiley22: He also told me the run out came to .152 on the compensator sprocket!!!! if you don't know decimals .152 is over 1/8" 1/8"=.125 . I had to fight them tooth and nail to get them to look into it because of the noise that I was hearing. and I had another dealership tell me just keep riding and see if it gets worse.

He said it should be done tomorrow night and if it is it'll be the last time I step foot into that dealership again......I must look like a retard. I really hate being lied to. I figure if you'll lie to me you'll steal from me and if you'll steal from me I don't want you around because I don't want to go to jail for murder.:newsmile055:

no. should they? he told me the run out was in the compensator, but I have no Idea how it's checked. I need to read the manual and see what it says should be replace with excessive run out.

Hey thanks, awesome videos. I just got off the phone with Pinocchio and asked if they checked the run out on the crank and he said yes.:55:. I do seem to remember something about him telling me what everything measured out to, and I think it was .003. Do you think if it's within spec on the primary side it still might be out on the cam side? If nothing else I do think they want to fix right because I've been a big enough pain that they don't want me back in there. He tells me his top mechanic has been working on these bike for 29 years, I would hope he knows what he's doing by now.:D I've only been doing my line of work for about 12 years and I'm one of the best there is.:s 29 years ago I was only 3!!!

With the design of the crank, if one side is out, generally they are both out. If it is out far enough, you get vibrations and will eventually take out the oil pump.

Back