free website stats program Primary Whining | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Whining

Food for thought...

Here's a HD dealer printout of the 10K service, where's the compensator?

http://www.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/myrtlebeachharley/MBHD%20Softail.pdf

I did ask them for the list that they used and guess what?.....:lolrolling no compensator on their list either. it only say check tightness of all critical fasteners and lists Axle nuts, Front fork components and engine mounts. I also checked with my local dealer....(I work out of state, that's why I went to this one) and they said that is a warranty issue. Tomorrow I will call Lone Wolf Harley Davidson of Couer D' Alene, Id. and tell the store owner or manager just exactly why they won't be getting any business from me and more than likely wont be getting any business from anyone I know.
I won't be asking for my money back, I figure $40 is cheap lesson to learn:cheers If I didn't complain it would have been $80, so I figure I got an extra $40 to put gas in the bike and go drink :lolrolling:bigsmiley24::cheers

Quite honestly, I have never heard of any dealer "checking" the comp nut on any services. Maybe a call to the customer relations in the MOCO would get a definitive answer.

that's what I was gonna do too....After work I'm headed to my local dealer to get the number. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give it to me:bigsmiley10: even though I didn't happen to buy the bike from 'em they've always been more than helpful in the service department

that's what I was gonna do too....After work I'm headed to my local dealer to get the number. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give it to me:bigsmiley10: even though I didn't happen to buy the bike from 'em they've always been more than helpful in the service department

Harley-Davidson customer service representative (414) 343-4056.

ThanX!!! I figured you knew the # but didn't want to ask....you help so much so I didn't want to bother you for a little phone number....:cheers I owe one.....or two....maybe three by now.:cheers:cheers:cheers

So what milage should the comp nut be checked i didnt see it listed anywhere.. for really any Harley

Generally speaking, they only get checked when the primary cover is off for some reason like a stator replacement or chain tensioner replacement etc.

Hmmm. See Gliders post here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

In post #8, I included pictures of the stator from my '03 UC. I would bet yours looks something like this. You should check it out. If the compensator nut was loose, the rotor could have damaged the stator to the point where one or more of your coils are fried. The burnt oil smell is a pretty good indication of that as Glider said. Not too hard a job, but you will need new gaskets, primary oil and something to "jam" the chain with when your taking off and putting on the compensator nut and clutch nut (lefty). I use an old chain adjustment shoe. Also, you need a pretty good size torque wrench to get to 165 ft-lbs. on the comp. nut (at least that is for my bike - check your service manual).

TQ

Back