free website stats program Primary whine? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary whine?

Well...........my 'sound' seems a bit louder after making sure I only have 32oz. of Primary oil in her. I am tempted to add the 3 oz. back in that I drained out. I don't even know what the hell it really sounds like [prob. a normal Harley sound] for all I know........ I just know it sounded louder after Harley serviced it [primary oil change] and then did not sound as loud after I replaced the Harley primary oil with Red line Primary [35oz] now it seems louder again after I drained out 3oz....:( Sound just kinda sounds like a high speed chain running...
Colt [kinda going nuts] .45

You will hear the chain if your listening for it that's normal. Maybe you think it's louder then it really is because your a little frustrated. Try running it for a bit and see what happens.

Last edited:
Ok Jeff and everyone else, I added 3.5oz. of Red Line primary oil back in the primary.....[just gets the bottom edge of clutch pack in it now] it did Not affect the sound.I asked my brother to listen to it and he said it sounds the same on the primary side and the right side of the motor.So he thinks it might be something up higher than the primary....? It makes the 'whirr' sound [really a bit higher pitched than a 'whirr'] in neutral or in gear, with clutch lever pulled or not. Any ideas.....? It's still kinda making me crazy..........seems to run great.
Thanks..........Colt

Sounds like you have the fluid right where it should be now. When you say a little higher can you be a little more specific? Mid engine, valve train area? is it louder on one side then the other? Noise seems to travel so pinpointing it can be a challenge.

Did you see how high the tightener is in the primary? If it's up fairly high, you'll get a sound like a super charger in the primary because the chain is wrapping around the clutch sprocket further and then up and over the tightener. I see you only have 10,000 miles on the bike so your chain shouldn't be stretched out that much that this is what's happening. I have seen this happen in a primary making the sound you're talking about. It wouldn't hurt to take the cover off the primary so you can have a good look in there to see what's happening. Can't see much threw the derby cover.

Since the Rocker has the "B" motor with the counterbalance, and the OP's brother thinks the sound is the same on both sides, Could the whine come from the chain drive for the counterbalance.

geezer
Sorry I can not really tell..........chain seemed ok by looking thru derby and pushing on it with long screw driver....

Jeff
It is really hard to tell,I was sure it was on the left side but my brother said was just as loud on the right? Sure enough when I went to that side it was or seemed to be the same. I really can't even tell how high....seems like low to me but my brother said.........well since it's the same on both sides maybe it's higher on motor like jugs or heads? Really sounds lower to me though.

HDDon
I'll be anxious to hear what some think on this.

Thanks guys.............Colt

Don brings up a great point. The balancer does have its own sound that it makes that I would describe as a "whirring" sound. I still like Geezer's idea of the chain to tight.

Since the Rocker has the "B" motor with the counterbalance, and the OP's brother thinks the sound is the same on both sides, Could the whine come from the chain drive for the counterbalance.

Don may be onto something here. I've never sat and listened to a B engine run but hearing the sound equally on either side of the engine and the location of where you think it's coming from, the counterbalance/chain could be the culprit.

Hey guys
I was talking to a maint. man at work today about my 'sound' he also has a B motored scooter and when I described the sound he said "I bet it's the counter balancer cause mine makes a whirring sound as well." He came outside with me to hear it when we got off work and as soon as I started it up he said it was the same as his. He said not to worry about it as it seemed to be a standard sound on the B motors. So I am greatly relieved.........:)
I do thank you all for your input, thoughts and time spent replying to me.
BTW.........I did adjust my clutch per the 'Bubbie' method while looking for answers to this and it now feels and works super! So thanks to Bubbie as well.
Colt.45.......:hii

Back