free website stats program Primary whine? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary whine?

Ok guys
Hmmmmmm I'm confused now.........."Dr.Doolittle" thinks I filled it too full with 35 oz. and it appears according to what "dbmg" posted that I did not fill it full enough? It seems every Harley uses a different amount of primary oil.
Book says 32-40oz...............Anyhow I rode about 150 miles today and all seemed normal.Shifted fine, clutch felt like normal.........
Colt.45

Ok guys
Hmmmmmm I'm confused now.........."Dr.Doolittle" thinks I filled it too full with 35 oz. and it appears according to what "dbmg" posted that I did not fill it full enough? It seems every Harley uses a different amount of primary oil.
Book says 32-40oz...............Anyhow I rode about 150 miles today and all seemed normal.Shifted fine, clutch felt like normal.........
Colt.45

The point being made is bike has to be completely straight up and off jiffy stand. Otherwise you will not get the proper 38 oz. amount of primary oil in primary. That is why my original question was if dealer only charged you for 5 quarts of oil the probably did not put the proper 38 oz. in when bike was serviced......

dbmg
Ahhhh ok, now I gotcha.I guess I was thinking since trannie and engine oil is checked leaned over on 'jiffy' stand that the Primary would be as well. I will recheck and add if needed with it straight up.
Thanks to everyone.This is a real learning experience for me and I do appreciate your help. Sometimes I ask questions which cause people to think I don't believe em but the truth is I'm just trying to get it straight in my mind.......
Colt.45

dbmg
Ahhhh ok, now I gotcha.I guess I was thinking since trannie and engine oil is checked leaned over on 'jiffy' stand that the Primary would be as well. I will recheck and add if needed with it straight up.
Thanks to everyone.This is a real learning experience for me and I do appreciate your help. Sometimes I ask questions which cause people to think I don't believe em but the truth is I'm just trying to get it straight in my mind.......
Colt.45

The only bad question is the one not asked........:s

Ok guys
Colt.45

I don't see where the confusion comes in - dbmg"s post is simply the extended version of the quote I posted - exact same wording. If you follow the manual and add the recommended amount, you still need to check the level according to what we quoted and make adjustments from there. I would never just dump in a prescribed amount and button things up without checking the level closely. I don't see how 38 oz would be close to overflowing the primary (your words) if it was drained completely first. Anyway, the actual numbers don't matter, it's the level of the lube in the primary that's important.

I'm kind of surprised the bike ran as good as you say after reading what the manual says about an overfilled primary but I'm glad it did!

Hi again guys
I just checked my owners manual and the service manuals again and both say 32oz. for my bike [08 Softail Rocker] . So I guess I will drain and put back in 32oz. and see if it comes up to the bottom of the clutch pack or what?
Thanks again........Colt

Just got in from the 'drain/re-fill'. I drained it all out..35oz. and then measured out 32oz. and poured it back in again. It looked perfect [only had 160 miles on it] plus I poured it thru a strainer funnel as well. 32oz. filled it to the point that with the bike straight up it was just barely submerging the bottom edge of the clutch pack. So I guess I'll try it like this and see how it is.
Colt.45

I guess I was thinking since trannie and engine oil is checked leaned over on 'jiffy' stand that the Primary would be as well. I will recheck and add if needed with it straight up.
Colt.45

Is your tranny on the Rocker checked with bike on jiffy? Mine is checked with bike straight up.
Just asking since......

Is your tranny on the Rocker checked with bike on jiffy? Mine is checked with bike straight up.
Just asking since......

From manual:

Check Lubricant Level

1.Park motorcycle on the jiffy stand.

2.See Transmission Filler Plug/Dipstick (FXCWC shown). Remove the threaded filler plug/dipstick by turning the plug counterclockwise.

3.See Transmission Filler Plug/Dipstick Lubricant Level. Wipe off filler plug/dipstick. Place in filler hole and remove. (Dipstick should rest on lip of filler. Do not screw in tight. Lubricant level should be between the upper and lower ends of the oil level indicator marks on the dipstick.

From manual:

Check Lubricant Level

1.Park motorcycle on the jiffy stand.

2.See Transmission Filler Plug/Dipstick (FXCWC shown). Remove the threaded filler plug/dipstick by turning the plug counterclockwise.

3.See Transmission Filler Plug/Dipstick Lubricant Level. Wipe off filler plug/dipstick. Place in filler hole and remove. (Dipstick should rest on lip of filler. Do not screw in tight. Lubricant level should be between the upper and lower ends of the oil level indicator marks on the dipstick.

Thanks for chiming in dbmg.
One thing for sure...Checking fluids on these things is a bit goofy!

Back