free website stats program Primary Seal Leaking | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Seal Leaking

I had to get back in because I installed the wrong seal :bigsmiley15:. When I got in I saw my ring gear had about 5 teeth missing so I guess it was a good thing. I have a high torque starter and I hear they are hard on stock ring gears. Since I was back in I decided to replace the cheap bearing with the Baker bearing kit. The Baker is on the right. I did notice the fit on the shaft was tighter than with the cheaper bearing.
IMG_1330.jpg

I had to make my own bearing puller. It worked pretty good.
IMG_1328.jpg

Now that I got it all back in I am waiting for a 10/84 easy start ring gear set. It is supposed to be better with a high torque starter. Should be in today. I will post more when it comes in.
IMG_1332.jpg

Nice work, and great bearing puller idea. Now you know exactly what you have in there and the job was done right. Did you replace the ring gear too?

The ring gear kit is not in yet but when I get I will be installing it. When i beefed up my motor no one told me about all this other stuff that would have to be changed out. Like starter, battery, primary bearing and ring gear. l May have changed my mind if I had known all that. If any thing it has been a good learning experience. I can do most of the repairs on my bike now.

When i beefed up my motor no one told me about all this other stuff that would have to be changed out. Like starter, battery, primary bearing and ring gear. l May have changed my mind if I had known all that.

Plenty of pumped up motors running OEM primary bearing/race, battery, ring gear and starter; I have two. I don't know how beefed up your motor is but I think something else could be going on. A walking inner primary bearing race is a very common occurrence on stock bikes; definitely wouldn't blame that on a beefed up motor. Broken ring gear teeth can result from improper gap between ring gear and jack shaft pinion or accidentally hitting the start button while the bike is running. Just saying that there could be something else going on that you might look for while you have the primary apart.:D

Good luck; hope you get it all sorted out.:D

The ring gear comes with a pinion gear as a set. All I know is before I had the motor pumped up to 96" with port, polished, shaved heads with high compression pistons and stronger valve springs I had no starter issues a all. Since then I had to rebuild the starter 3 times before I went with a bigger starter. I don't see how a stock starter is going to last long on a high compression motor. You could us compression releases or the S&S compression release cams to solve the starter issues but I didn't so I have to fix it a different way.

Got the new ring gear and pinion. The new pinion is on the bottom.
IMG_1334_1.jpg

The new gear is on the top.
IMG_1333_1.jpg

Got it all back together so we will see what happens.

The ring gear comes with a pinion gear as a set. All I know is before I had the motor pumped up to 96" with port, polished, shaved heads with high compression pistons and stronger valve springs I had no starter issues a all. Since then I had to rebuild the starter 3 times before I went with a bigger starter. I don't see how a stock starter is going to last long on a high compression motor. You could us compression releases or the S&S compression release cams to solve the starter issues but I didn't so I have to fix it a different way.

Well, like I said, I have two and both have CCP above 190psi but I knew that going in and had the heads drilled and tapped for CRs when they were ported.:D Compression releases would have been cheaper and probably fewer man hours.:s Not a fan of the S&S EZ starts although many are. Hope the ring gear and starter solve your problem.

Well, like I said, I have two and both have CCP above 190psi but I knew that going in and had the heads drilled and tapped for CRs when they were ported.:D Compression releases would have been cheaper and probably fewer man hours.:s Not a fan of the S&S EZ starts although many are. Hope the ring gear and starter solve your problem.

They make these parts for a reason so I hope the solve my problem. If not I'll try something else. I should of had compression releases installed but I didn't. I guess that's my next step if this doesn't work. I didn't know that the inner race will move on a stock motor. Thanks for your help

I got almost 400 miles on it now and now leaks.:newsmile106:. See how it goes. The new ring and pinion starter gears do a good job starting the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back