free website stats program Primary Seal Leaking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Seal Leaking

I cut a groove in as far as I could, gave it a few good wacks and it cracked the rest of the way :D. I did notice some seepage around the quad seal. I think I will replace that seal and the big seal on the trans since I'm there. Now all I have to do is decide which fix I want to use. Thanks again for all your help.
IMG_1258_1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Good to see that the you have got the inner race off
As you have a few hours of dis assembly to get to that point it may be worth just replacing all the seals that are in that area
To get some seals out easily without damaging the seal seat drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and pull on the screw head to pull the seal out
I used a section of ABS pipe of a suitable size to fit over the main shaft and drive a new seal in place
On my evo dyna I got a leak from the inner primary bolts and ended up using some non setting gasket sealant on the underside of the lock washers and bolt heads to seal them

Brian

Excellent. Let us know what route you take and how it goes.

My plan is to replace all the seals in the area. Don't want to have to get back in there anytime soon. I will post pics and keep you posted as I go along.

+1 on replacing all the seals while you are in that area. I would also replace the quad seal spacer. I would also replace the IPB seal.

+1 on the S&S tapered IPB race but be very careful installing. Once the taper hits the main shaft, a little too much torque and the race will split; very brittle. You just need to get enough of the race on the shaft for the IPB seal to make contact. Once you get the S&S race about .100"-.110" from the main shaft/fifth gear seal, it should be on far enough.

That main shaft/fifth gear seal is a tough one to get out. I have found that working a small screw driver around the inside of the seal is the best way. Others claim using some small picks works well but they usually break a few picks in the process. Good luck!

+1 on replacing all the seals while you are in that area. I would also replace the quad seal spacer. I would also replace the IPB seal.

+1 on the S&S tapered IPB race but be very careful installing. Once the taper hits the main shaft, a little too much torque and the race will split; very brittle. You just need to get enough of the race on the shaft for the IPB seal to make contact. Once you get the S&S race about .100"-.110" from the main shaft/fifth gear seal, it should be on far enough.

That main shaft/fifth gear seal is a tough one to get out. I have found that working a small screw driver around the inside of the seal is the best way. Others claim using some small picks works well but they usually break a few picks in the process. Good luck!

When I replaced the main shaft seal and main drive seal along with the spacer and quad seal a few years ago I drilled a small hole in the metal part of the seal and put in a self tapping screw and was able to easily pull the seals out that way they are going in the bin anyway main shaft seal drill hole was at a wee bit of an angle as the main shaft gets in the way a wee bit but by using a centre punch to dent the metal the drill stayed on course as the metal part of the seal is a soft metal it is easy to drill

Brian

mn1818.jpg
I use a slide hammer with a screw or I also have a seal puller hook for the end of the slide hammer, if there is room to get it in they will pull almost ALL seals and bearings and races with the correct adaptors

Back