free website stats program primary question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary question

You can UN ratchet it and IT will tighten up again when stgarted. Hopefully will set to the proper tension...... Automatic tensioner you know. Hahahahaha

siigned....BUBBIE[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...Duh, stupid me...
so... just lift the chain off the ramp and un-ratchet it?

Howdy all...I have a sound that sounds similiar to the slack in the primary that in the past I have remedied with the fix mentioned here...quick accel in 1st up to 30 mph then brake with out pulling clutch....works great but this is almost as if my auto tensioner needs to be replaced. Specifics are 09 Flhx and 30,000 miles running redline in it and no probs with that. Any thoughts are appreciated. primary fluid new this yr at 25.000

Might be a good idea to have the adjuster inspected and take a good look at the compensator while your at it.

don't forget to use anti-seizu lube on the screws& one drop of blue thread locker when you replace them & i'd swap out the torex screws with allen-head screws while you have the primary off. ACE hardware has the button-head allen wrench screws in chrome or black,BUT don't forget they are 5/8" long.

I am just spit balling here. Did you check the oil level in the primary to make sure it was up to the bottom of the clutch basket. I have seen bikes where there was insufficient oil in the primary and they made more noise than a flock of geese. Just throwin that out.

turned out it needed a new clutch hub and replaced bearing pn#37906 - 90 as well parts were about 200.00 for all and did the work with a pal who builds customs as a hobby. Worked like a charm !!!

Back