free website stats program primary question | Harley Davidson Forums

primary question

Redman

Howdy all...I have a sound that sounds similiar to the slack in the primary that in the past I have remedied with the fix mentioned here...quick accel in 1st up to 30 mph then brake with out pulling clutch....works great but this is almost as if my auto tensioner needs to be replaced. Specifics are 09 Flhx and 30,000 miles running redline in it and no probs with that. Any thoughts are appreciated. primary fluid new this yr at 25.000

You running stock or SE compensator. You didn't say if you do your own work but it's not a big deal to remove the primary cover in order to take a look for yourself. The book says to replace the cover gasket but I have re-used mine over 6 times without any problems at all. Never a leak after doing the work. With 30K on the bike, it will give you a chance to look at the compensator ramps, check comp bolt tightness, check ring & pinion gear condition, tensioner shoe condition etc. You didn't say much about the sound & when you hear it but if everything looks OK, it could be a clutch basket bearing

tore the cover off last night and all looked and felt good....i do believe its the clutch basket. Thanks for the tip !

tore the cover off last night and all looked and felt good....i do believe its the clutch basket. Thanks for the tip !

I replace my redline MTL (same as V-twin primary redline) every oil/filter change (20/50 redline)and do so about every 4000 and or Less miles.

I find that the primary needs the change-out-early Regardless of the quality of the lube used (dirty and HOT inside that primary).

The tranny, I use shockproof heavy, is good for 20,000 miles with out a change (harley finally said so) and about time...

Dave at Redline (tech) said I could go 40,000 on the shockproof heavy, and it would still be good,,,,, But suggested (Naturally) to go with HD's service interval called out for.

signed....BUBBIE

You running stock or SE compensator. You didn't say if you do your own work but it's not a big deal to remove the primary cover in order to take a look for yourself. The book says to replace the cover gasket but I have re-used mine over 6 times without any problems at all. Never a leak after doing the work. With 30K on the bike, it will give you a chance to look at the compensator ramps, check comp bolt tightness, check ring & pinion gear condition, tensioner shoe condition etc. You didn't say much about the sound & when you hear it but if everything looks OK, it could be a clutch basket bearing
How hard is the clutch basket bearing to replace? I may be headed in that direction. I hear a louder than before (increased over time) howl. It doesn't seam bad yet but am wondering if I should in time have this on my list.

How hard is the clutch basket bearing to replace? I may be headed in that direction. I hear a louder than before (increased over time) howl. It doesn't seam bad yet but am wondering if I should in time have this on my list.

I WONDER if it is the chain Too Tight... IF it Howls, that is a sign it has ratched up one notch too much (too tight)...

Usually come on from runniing hard and also happens on Big Builds...

IF you remove the derby cover to see IF you can Feel IF the chain is loose enough to move Up Down some OR is it Tight as a drum.?

I would use a Long screwdriver...

signed....BUBBIE

Remember adjust the primary chain at it at its tightest spot.After you see the difference in slack from the loosest to the tightest you'll understand why they do it that way. :s

If the problem is bearing #18 in the attachment, it will only make noise when the clutch lever is pulled in (disengaged) with trans in gear. That's when this bearing is used. If the bike is in neutral with the clutch lever release (clutch pack engaged), this bearing is not in use.
Is that when you hear the noise? That bearing does not require any special HD tools to replace. It can be removed with a large 3 jaw puller or common bearing press.

Attachments

• Bearing_basket.pdf
    183.3 KB · Views: 33
I WONDER if it is the chain Too Tight... IF it Howls, that is a sign it has ratched up one notch too much (too tight)...

Usually come on from runniing hard and also happens on Big Builds...

IF you remove the derby cover to see IF you can Feel IF the chain is loose enough to move Up Down some OR is it Tight as a drum.?

I would use a Long screwdriver...

signed....BUBBIE
I thought it might be too tight, and did check it. It did seem tight. I had done the tighten trick a time or two but realized that it didn't need to be done anymore. There is no way to unratched it is there? Besides that might make it too loose. At this point I'm going to just monitor the noise there and keep my primary oil changed regularly. I don't ride very hard, I'm a pretty casual rider. I did have the primary cover off last summer and everything looked good inside, no unusual wear that I could tell.
Harley

If the problem is bearing #18 in the attachment, it will only make noise when the clutch lever is pulled in (disengaged) with trans in gear. That's when this bearing is used. If the bike is in neutral with the clutch lever release (clutch pack engaged), this bearing is not in use.
Is that when you hear the noise? That bearing does not require any special HD tools to replace. It can be removed with a large 3 jaw puller or common bearing press.
I hear it all the time, in gear riding or sitting idleing in neutral, not a real loud howl but noticable. I put my stethoscope on the primary cover and listen, it gets louder at the compensator and the clutch basket. This may all be normal for HDs.
Harley
Sorry Redman, didn't mean to steal your thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it might be too tight, and did check it. It did seem tight. I had done the tighten trick a time or two but realized that it didn't need to be done anymore. There is no way to unratched it is there? Besides that might make it too loose. At this point I'm going to just monitor the noise there and keep my primary oil changed regularly. I don't ride very hard, I'm a pretty casual rider. I did have the primary cover off last summer and everything looked good inside, no unusual wear that I could tell.
Harley

Too Tight MAY happen IF you try to Keep the pressure (RPM) of the motor UP (throttle heavy) and Break (i pop my break Hard about twice) IF this adjustment gets out of hand,,, A FEW have had a problem of TOO Tight.

Yes IF you take off the outer prrimary and like Hoople said You really DON'T need a new gasket IF you take care and re torque properly (clean all oil off the mating surfaces). I agree to re use that gsket and also the cam cove is another I re use without problems.

You can UN ratchet it and IT will tighten up again when stgarted. Hopefully will set to the proper tension...... Automatic tensioner you know. Hahahahaha

siigned....BUBBIE

Back