free website stats program Primary fluid | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary fluid

TQ,, I was thinking the chain inspect cover was higher than the bottom lip of the Derby? Just going by memory..

I agree 64 oz is a bunch to get in there for sure.

Yes, you are right. It is a bit higher, but I am not sure enough to get another whole quart in there without it coming out especially if it is on the side stand. NO WAY if the derby is off!!

TQ

Attachments

• RK Primary Cover.jpg
    RK Primary Cover.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 21
  • RK Primary Cover-2.jpg
    RK Primary Cover-2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 22
The OP was probably trying to see the fluid touch the bottom of the clutch basket.

And it may be possible to add 64 ounces. I added 48 trying to see the fluid touch my clutch basket. I then drained it all, added 32, and then buttoned her up. (The fluid was added while bike on center stand.)

Thanks for the pictures. In my mind, the access port (chain) was higher. It was the only thing I could come up with. Tks!

And it may be possible to add 64 ounces. I added 48 trying to see the fluid touch my clutch basket. I then drained it all, added 32, and then buttoned her up. (The fluid was added while bike on center stand.)

I was adding the fluid through the derby cover.

On my bike, the level is checked on the Jiffy Stand. That in itself would make a big difference in what the "full" level would be.

Smitty,

My 48 oz was a tear down (removed inner and outer primary covers). Good to know. I was not sure so I drained and re-filled.

I want pictures , I would like to see how you got 64OZ in it it will take about 48 on a tear down but 64OZ that I need to see

Smitty, if the bike was upright and you filled it to the lip of the Derby cover, you think maybe you could jam 2 quarts in it?. The level would be up to the clutch pressure screw but you may be able to force it in there. (?)

Smitty, if the bike was upright and you filled it to the lip of the Derby cover, you think maybe you could jam 2 quarts in it?. The level would be up to the clutch pressure screw but you may be able to force it in there. (?)

No way it would run out:s

Thanks all, I drained out 32oz and buttoned her up. Yes the 04 does have a chain adjustment door, next fluid change that's what I will use. It did hold 64oz with the bike plumb thru the clutch basket cover. As usual thanks for the help from this forum, could have been a problem on an extended trip to New England first 2 weeks of Oct.

Back