free website stats program Primary fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary fluid

martillo

I changed all the fluids today ,but when I put the primary fluid in it took 64 ounces of harleys formula plus , last fluid change only took 32 ounces, to bring it up to the correct level. Where did the extra fluid go? I am taking a long road trip soon and do not need any problems . this is a2004 road king custom with 21000 miles all put on it by me since it was new.

I changed all the fluids today ,but when I put the primary fluid in it took 64 ounces of harleys formula plus , last fluid change only took 32 ounces, to bring it up to the correct level. Where did the extra fluid go? I am taking a long road trip soon and do not need any problems . this is a2004 road king custom with 21000 miles all put on it by me since it was new.

2 quarts in the primary, thats way over full, best drain it again and try the proper level, unless the crank case seal is bad and the extra is in the motor

The primary oil should just cover the bottom of clutch basket. 38 oz at max. Are you sure on 64 oz? I can't see how primary could hold 64 oz without coming out from under derby cover and being able to shift gears.

The primary oil should just cover the bottom of clutch basket. 38 oz at max. Are you sure on 64 oz? I can't see how primary could hold 64 oz without coming out from under derby cover and being able to shift gears.

It should have puked all over with that much fluid IMO:s

I just adjusted my new clutch after 5k miles it was slipping just a little in 5th & 6th if you got on it hard and what I read somewhere I can't recall now, to use 22oz of ATF with a Barnett clutch. I've never heard of using ATF in the primary before but I'm going to see how it holds up.
WAP.gif

I can't see how primary could hold 64 oz without coming out from under derby cover and being able to shift gears.

Is there a chain inspection cover on a 2004? Maybe it was filled to the bottom of the chain inspection cover? That would be right at 1/2 gallon by my math.
Would that be possible?

Is there a chain inspection cover on a 2004? Maybe it was filled to the bottom of the chain inspection cover? That would be right at 1/2 gallon by my math.
Would that be possible?

I don't think so. I do think there is an inspection cover on the '04. I think you would have to lay the bike over to the right to be able to put that much fluid in the primary. Definitely would NOT get two quarts in with the bike on the jiffy with the derby cover off!! On my '03, I usually add the fluid in through the chain inspection cover because it is easier to do than fighting with the clutch basket. But when I change the fluid, I dump what is in there, and then add a quart, button it up, and back it out.

TQ

I don't think so. I do think there is an inspection cover on the '04. I think you would have to lay the bike over to the right to be able to put that much fluid in the primary. Definitely would NOT get two quarts in with the bike on the jiffy with the derby cover off!! On my '03, I usually add the fluid in through the chain inspection cover because it is easier to do than fighting with the clutch basket. But when I change the fluid, I dump what is in there, and then add a quart, button it up, and back it out.

TQ

TQ,, I was thinking the chain inspect cover was higher than the bottom lip of the Derby? Just going by memory..

I agree 64 oz is a bunch to get in there for sure.

Back