free website stats program Primary Chain Case Servicing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Chain Case Servicing

thanks Breeze, I can understand the taper part and overtightening. Was just confused a little about putting the plug in the right amount (wondering how to push a threaded plug in a threaded hole the right length and THEN tighten it) I dont like overtightening anything. It just seemed to me - that you would not have too much of a choice in how far to run it in - when its tight - you stop! - right?

Bill

also, confusing "be careful 'cause the magnetic end of the plug may contact the clutch basket" Here again, it seems I have no choice or control of that - IF I just put the plug back in and tighten it. IE: if it does touch the clutch basket - my only recourse is to loosen the drain plug - which also may cause instant leak.
I will just pay careful attention when I remove the drain plug and try to seat it back in without tightening tooo much.

Thanks for your help and input.

Bill

Glider, please bear with me here, --- this is the post I was talking about.
I guess you are simply saying "do not overtighten the drain plug" -- RIGHT?

But I did buy the Service manual -- big smile here.

Thanks for all your help - I just bought the HD 20w50 360 oil for the engine and forumla+ for the primary - still need to pick up some good synthetic gear oil for the tranny. Was just reading the service manual and wondering what it was trying to say. Your posts are spot on about the drain plugs for the engine being way back under the frame (2001 softail) - I found it just fine - I still haven't put my eyeball on the transmission drain plug yet. But I have plenty of help with the manual and this forum!!

Bill

The "plug in too far" is just for the tapered pipe plug drain plug in the older bikes . It has no head on it.

The newer bikes have the head on the drain plug. Nothing to stop you from re-taping the case to use the newer type drain plug.

I use Redline primary chaincase oil in the primary of my 06 FLHTCUSE and my 08 FXDWG and it appears to perform very well. The process is as Mr. Data described. And concur with his shop manual comment. I would not touch my bikes without one.

Mr. Data, is it possible to lean the bike way over to the right side, and pull the primary drain plug without loosing oil?? or at least - without loosing too much oil?

Thanks
Bill

I doubt you could lean it far enough to not loose any oil but if it's just to replace an "O" ring or something, you can do it without too much oil loss.

Mr. Data, is it possible to lean the bike way over to the right side, and pull the primary drain plug without loosing oil?? or at least - without loosing too much oil?

Thanks
Bill
Well folks - first of all I hope all had a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend.

update here - I changed my Primary oil -- yes should have used the teflon tape - I didnt and there is a tiny (very tiny) leak - not a drip - just an oily plug.

Also, I changed the transmission oil to Mobil 1 75W90. That all good BUT I do have to admit one thing here. When pulling the tran plug - it was hard all the way out - had to use ratchet to pull it. Then - I spent about an hour trying to put the dang plug back in. It would NOT thread properly. I actually put it in using the ratchet also and it was tight all the way. I expect to have to have that drain hole 'drilled and taped" at the next drain - ~10K miles hopefully. What do you guys think? BTW - I haved no leaks on the concrete floor in my shop from oil filter or the other 3 holes. I did put the teflon tape on the oil plug and trans plug (maybe thats why I could not get it to 'start' properly??

Bill

Back