free website stats program Primary Chain Case Servicing | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Chain Case Servicing

glider

Veteran Member
Replacing The Primary Drain Bolt

When doing a primary oil change ,pay particular attention to how far you insert the drain plug into the cover as the magnet on the end can contact the clutch basket if inserted too far and make a real problem in there with bits and pieces. Some Teflon tape or the thread sealer will allow you to set it at a height slightly above the surface and not cause a problem for you. Consult your owners manual for more information if you are unsure.

On some models, this drain plug is a tapered pipe thread and inserting it too deep can crack the primary cover also.

The newer bikes have a hex head bolt with an "O" ring seal in the primary drain to replace the pipe thread bolt that was causing this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok call my stupid but I haven't owned a real bike for a while and have never changed the primary fluid before but I am able but I am wondering how much fluid and how to fill it on the right side of the engine there seem to be two fill holes one where the dip stick is and I am guessing it is for the engine oil and the allen head one I am guessing is for the tranny. Do I take the clutch cover off the primary case cover to fill the primary and one more thing do I have to take the whole primary cover off to change the fluid or just drain and fill. My bike is an 07 electra glide standard with 4000 miles I talked to the orig owner yesterday and he said he changed the engine and tranny fluids but didn't do the primary. he used amsoil is that good?

Marco......GET A FACTORY MANUAL!
At least look in the owners manual.
Your bike should take 38 ounces in the primary but you can fill it through the clutch (derby) cover to just the bottom edge of the clutch housing with the bike upright and level. You can use the HD formula+ for the primary.

Also don't guess what oil goes where. The allen plug on the right side is for the trans filler and the other is for the engine oil. The primary gets drained underneath the bottom of the primary cover below the derby cover facing downwards on the left side.

Oh and did I mention.....GET A FACTORY MANUAL!:D

It is easy and it is covered in the owners manual...did mine yesterday. Be careful you don't drop the derby cover in the oil ;)

I have a question about the transmission and chaincase fluids. My dad just bought a '10 Ultra Classic Screamin' Eagle. I was reading through his manual and t says that the Syn3 20W-50 should be used in the chaincase and transmission, as opposed to the gear oil like my manual ('08 Electra Glide Classic). I was wondering if all models went to that, or if there was something special about CVO models.

Nothing special about the CVO models as far as oils. Any 10/30 - 10/40 non synthetic oil without the energy saver in it will work. Syn 3 isn't a real synthetic either. Gear oil isn't a good choice for use in the primary but the Formula+ from the dealer will work well also.

Ok. Good info. Are you an Amsoil or Mobil1 user? I thought about trying one of those. Amsoil is hard to find around here. The nearby Autozone has the Mobil1 motorcycle blend.

First of all - you will be pleased to know I picked up my HD Service Manual from the dealer just this past weekend. :tounge Even this manual could be better with its illustrations and instructions I believe.

Reading it and this post - I seem to be having difficulty with this Primary drain plug. In all other cases, we just remove a drain plug and drain the oil then replace the drain plug and tighten sufficently to prevent leaking. It looks like this plug is different in that you say "be careful how deep you insert the drain plug ---" Now, my question is - does this plug screw in? If so, how can I screw it in too far or not far enough? Why not just tighten the drain plug?

HELP!

Bill

First of all - you will be pleased to know I picked up my HD Service Manual from the dealer just this past weekend. :tounge Even this manual could be better with its illustrations and instructions I believe.
Reading it and this post - I seem to be having difficulty with this Primary drain plug. In all other cases, we just remove a drain plug and drain the oil then replace the drain plug and tighten sufficently to prevent leaking. It looks like this plug is different in that you say "be careful how deep you insert the drain plug ---" Now, my question is - does this plug screw in? If so, how can I screw it in too far or not far enough? Why not just tighten the drain plug?
HELP!
Bill
=======================================
"Some models have a TAPERED pipe thread". That means the plug is cone shaped (so slightly you can't see it), the further in it goes, the more pressure it puts on the surrounding hole, like a wedge and CRACK! instant leak. Snug is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back