free website stats program Prefilling Oil Filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prefilling Oil Filter

Guess you could pull the Fuel pump fuse than crank the engine over for a few seconds to pre lube and fill the filter too.

Guess you could pull the Fuel pump fuse than crank the engine over for a few seconds to pre lube and fill the filter too.

Yes you could but my question is why? The engine is already per lubed from the oil left in the engine. The few seconds it takes for the filter to fill and get pressure makes no difference with lubing the engine.

Some people swear by filling the filter so I say go for it if it gives you peace of mind.

You could but why? The rings and cylinders are already lubricated with a film of oil. The only time I would do that is on a "dry" motor but even then, if properly assembled, rings and cylinders are already lubricated; llifters primed, cams and bearings coated in cam lube, crank bearings coated in oil, etc. The only parts that might have a very slight delay in getting oil are the rocker arms which are not critical parts and will rattle for a minute or so as oil gets pushed up the pushrods. Belt and suspenders though, on a freshly built motor, I can see your point but have never found it necessary. The HD vtwin is a tractor motor, same basic design as it was 75 years ago, not a swiss watch..........:;)

The oil filter on my '05 FXSTD is mounted back near the swing arm. I can guarantee that if I started the motor with the oil filter off, I would have a quart of oil on the floor before I could shut her off; that's how quick the system fills up.

I'm a "pre-filler" too. Always have on cars and scooters. On my bike I just want the filter element to get soaked not filled up like I did on cars. Makes me feel better. Usually fill it up and let it soak while draining all 3 holes.

Dang I hate to be thought of as OCD or anal, but I do preload the oil filter. Doesn't seem to take any extra time and I guess it's just one more thing I won't worry about.

Dang I hate to be thought of as OCD or anal, but I do preload the oil filter. Doesn't seem to take any extra time and I guess it's just one more thing I won't worry about.

Peace of mind is priceless!!!!!!

Personally I always install the filter fill the oil than start the engine. My suggestion was for an easy way to crank the engine long enough to fill the filter.
The only filter I pre fill is for a new engine, and a diesel mainly because they hold 2 qts and often the opening will face up.
And yes leaving a filter off will empty the oil capacity faster than yelling shut it off. Giving you plenty of time to dance with the broom and floor dry.

I always pre fill the filter and give it time to soak into the filter element whether it is a car or a motorcycle I may have been instructed to pre fill an oil filter at one time or another but when and by who was so long ago I don't remember I just remember it is something I always do
It may have been my dad but I think that was all washable cloth filters that we may have been doing and some of the tracked armoured vehicles had washable cloth filters and some had spin on spin off full flow with a bypass valve similar to a car/motorcycle but a wee bit bigger and mounted in banks of filters
So at sometime between 1975 and now I was either advised or told to pre fill filters indoctrination is sometimes hard to shake off and pre filling filters does no harm

Brian

Back