free website stats program pre 2007 engine comparison | Harley Davidson Forums

pre 2007 engine comparison

English Mike

Being the proud owner of a 2006 HD Classic I wonder if anyone has tried the 1450 then upgraded to the latest 6 speed and can offer words of wisdom on how good it is. I do find the 5 speed a bit clunky noise wise from the gear box and wonder if the 6 speed is quieter.

I am also considering a stage two tune for the winter, are there any before and after stage two tuned owners that can say for £1500 it was worth every penny.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

English Mike

Hi Mike

I don't about the 1450 engines but I changed my 1340 for a 1584 last Monday and found the new engine a lot ( and I mean a lot) smoother, responsive and "calmer" (if I may call it that) I find it a great improvement.

Harry

Mike

Dispite all the advertising, the six speed has it's own problems. Fifth gear whines rather loudly because of the cut of the gears and sixth gear is great over 75 MPH otherwise it's useless as it sounds like a can of marbles if used below that. First through fourth are great dispite the fact that the ratios have been raised from the older gearing but still smooth.

Best bet if you are anticipating a change is to go with the Baker Trans. It's an excellent choice without all the noised that the HD units have. They use a thicker trap door to eliminate the flexing that is causing the problems that HD is having. You can get just the gear set to install in your case or the entire trans. Either way it's a sure thing IMO

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/softail/index.htm

Mike

Dispite all the advertising, the six speed has it's own problems. Fifth gear whines rather loudly because of the cut of the gears and sixth gear is great over 75 MPH otherwise it's useless as it sounds like a can of marbles if used below that. First through fourth are great dispite the fact that the ratios have been raised from the older gearing but still smooth.

Best bet if you are anticipating a change is to go with the Baker Trans. It's an excellent choice without all the noised that the HD units have. They use a thicker trap door to eliminate the flexing that is causing the problems that HD is having. You can get just the gear set to install in your case or the entire trans. Either way it's a sure thing IMO

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/softail/index.htm

He Glider

I must say I have heard the remark about the noise in fifth before as everybody repeats negative info like a tree full of parrots. Even the ones who have never had or been on one, but I have to tell you mine is maybe a little louder than 4th but hardly worth talking about.
If your bike sounds like "a can of marbles" in 6th unless you do 75 you do wise to check your primary drive.
Mine ( a 2007 Ultra ) goes like a dream at 60. Factory says 55 mph but thats a little to slow.

Harry

With the auto adjust chain tensioner in the primary, they have a habit of over adjusting in some bikes but nothing much short of a replacement of the same variety will do anything here. I haver a feeling that the auto adjuster could be part of the problem as far as the noist along with a sloppy compensator sprocket but only time will tell and the dealers have been told NOT to open them up to look into noises so that leaves only one other person to do it:D . Problem is then they would have something to say about the warrantee.

I love the bike and the motor, just not crazy about the trans. Should be interesting to see when the 08's come out if the usual "normal" noises are still there. If they aren't, the MOCO will have some fast talking to do to please the owners of the 07's

One other thing I noticed is that when the bike is started cold and ridden for about 5-8 miles, fifth and sixth gear are quiet and nice to use even at 60 MPH. After it gets well warmed up, then the usual noises start and sixth is useless under 75 MPH :15:

Last edited:
I keep hearing folks complain that the 2007 6-speed tyranny sounds terrible, but I got to say that I have no complaints about the one on my 2007 Heritage Classic. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but mine is fine.

5th gear is only marginally noisier than 4th gear. 6th gear is quite a bit quieter than 5th, but then I would expect that as the revs drop when in 6th.

Also, I am able to shift into 6th at speeds over 55 MPH with no problems. On relatively straight 2 lane roads, I shift into 6th gear at about 55 to 60 and stay there until either traffic or a steep incline causes me to down-shift. Small inclines usually do not require shifting down to 5th to climb them.

Maybe I got one of the few good 6-speed trannies Harley made this year, or maybe it's just that folks don't comment much about their transmissions unless they are unhappy about it.

Most of the complaints come from the fairing bikes and the road kings with the shields. Not too many have complained with the other models.
I think the fairings block the wind noise and make the noises more pronounced myself.

I guess I will lump myself with waterdog - I, too, have a 2007 Heritage Softail Classic and I have no problems with my tranny at all. I can hear the injectors doing their thing very clearly at slower speeds but the clatter that I have read about in 5th gear just isn't there. One salesman where I purchased my ride told me his trans sounded like someone tossing stones around inside the casings. Call me another lucky one but neither my wife nor I have heard the sounds everyone seems to be talking about.

When I first purchased my 2007 Ultra, I didn't want to use 6th gear after hearing it (I thought something was wrong with the transmission). I have been riding Honda motorcycles my whole life, though, and this is my first Harley. The dealer stated that the gear noise (as loud as it was) will go away. I believe it has. I use 6th gear whenever I can now, as the fuel tank only holds 5 gallons (undersized for the Ultra's large engine, in my opinion). Overall, I enjoy my Ultra, but I certainly can't see where any Harley owner could "trash talk" a Honda Goldwing when it comes to performance and and reliability. I do thing the Harley's look nicer than a Goldwing...

On my 08 I have no noise in 5th and 6th does fine above 60 but the ratio seems to be set right at the speed limit in 4th. When I need to go about 35 it seems that 3rd is strung out but 4th rattles.

Back