free website stats program Power gains | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power gains

For small increases in compression I would deck the heads. If you want higher compression, i.e. 10 to 1 or greater I would change to high compression pistons.
Tell them what you want and I'm sure they can recommend something....
It all depends on what you want, how streetable (reliable) you want it and how much you want to spend. Cash is KING when it comes to power....

OH YEAH!!!! Don't forget your carb!!!!!! (unless you're injected) I'm running an S&S Super G with a thunderjet. If you're injected, get a good high performance tunable module. Do your just research and I'm sure you'll be happy.

For small increases in compression I would deck the heads. If you want higher compression, i.e. 10 to 1 or greater I would change to high compression pistons.
Tell them what you want and I'm sure they can recommend something....
It all depends on what you want, how streetable (reliable) you want it and how much you want to spend. Cash is KING when it comes to power....

Thanx again for your input, I already have the S7S 106' kit wich is supposed to be 10:1 comp. with the 583 cams so I think I'll shoot them guy's over at Big Boyz an e-mail and see what we can come up with. :s

Thanx again for your input, I already have the S7S 106' kit wich is supposed to be 10:1 comp. with the 583 cams so I think I'll shoot them guy's over at Big Boyz an e-mail and see what we can come up with. :s

Not knocking BigBoyz; they are great at what they do. However, IIRC, Bean doesn't replace guides, springs or valves but may do this at your request. Also think decking is not included in the $299 which includes porting, valve job and guide seals. If not, there are other porters that offer "street" porting that includes larger intake valve, decking and new guides. With that cam set, you could use a larger intake valve. Just saying that you should shop around to be sure and get the most for the money. Talk to Bean but also talk to Kirby at VeeTwin Performance, or Arn at Atwood; doesn't cost much to talk and I guarantee that you will learn something in the process and make an informed decision.

As for the numbers, I would think you would pickup 10HP and 5TQ.

Not knocking BigBoyz; they are great at what they do. However, IIRC, Bean doesn't replace guides, springs or valves but may do this at your request. Also think decking is not included in the $299 which includes porting, valve job and guide seals. If not, there are other porters that offer "street" porting that includes larger intake valve, decking and new guides. With that cam set, you could use a larger intake valve. Just saying that you should shop around to be sure and get the most for the money. Talk to Bean but also talk to Kirby at VeeTwin Performance, or Arn at Atwood; doesn't cost much to talk and I guarantee that you will learn something in the process and make an informed decision.

As for the numbers, I would think you would pickup 10HP and 5TQ.

I might be rethinking the whole thing if that's all I'd gain, don't know if I want to spend that kind of $$$$ for only 10 hp. Thanx for the info. :s

I might be rethinking the whole thing if that's all I'd gain, don't know if I want to spend that kind of $$$$ for only 10 hp. Thanx for the info. :s

Look at it this way. You already have some decent numbers; 90HP/110TQ with the increased displacement, compression and longer cams. It would be reasonable to expect 1.1TQ/HP per cubic inch from a similar build with head work which would put your numbers at 100HP/120TQ.

Headwork is what your build is missing and $400-$500 for 10HP/10TQ is not unreasonable when you look at it on a dollar/hp_tq basis. Of course, you would have to add the cost of a retune to get the full potential out of the build.

Look at it this way. You already have some decent numbers; 90HP/110TQ with the increased displacement, compression and longer cams. It would be reasonable to expect 1.1TQ/HP per cubic inch from a similar build with head work which would put your numbers at 100HP/120TQ.

Headwork is what your build is missing and $400-$500 for 10HP/10TQ is not unreasonable when you look at it on a dollar/hp_tq basis. Of course, you would have to add the cost of a retune to get the full potential out of the build.

Good point............. I'm so confused!!! :)

You may just need a better tune. I'm running a hd stage 4 103 kit in my heritage with woods 400 cams and tuned at docs hd in St Louis MO. I'm getting 104hp and 118tq. I would think you should be doing better with what you have.

Thanx, I was just looking at the Big Boyz web site and think I'll give them a go for the porting. As for the decking will they know how much can be shaved if I give them a list of the mods so far or will that have to be determined by other meens?

I think you will have to tell them what chamber cc you want to wind up with, which will depend on what CCR you want to have. There are a couple of good articles in the self help section on this topic.
If it was me I would want to stay in the 9.0 to 9.3 range on CCR, so as to be able to burn some of the lousy gas you will occasionally have to buy on a long road trip. just my opinion.

Rod

You may just need a better tune. I'm running a hd stage 4 103 kit in my heritage with woods 400 cams and tuned at docs hd in St Louis MO. I'm getting 104hp and 118tq. I would think you should be doing better with what you have.

Big difference between adding a manifold/injectors and a set of street ported heads to a 106" motor running pipes, A/C and S&S 583 cams and going from stock 96 to Stage IV 103. If the OP gains 10TQ/10HP, he will be looking at 100HP/120TQ; not bad for the investment.

I don't think he needs to spend the money for the intake and injectors to get the 10/10 gain. A retune would run $300; half the cost of head work and the OP will need a retune anyway once the heads are installed.

Back