free website stats program Possible dumb question... | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible dumb question...

jloomis19

Right now I have a Sportster 883C....since settling down a bit, and going to be getting married soon, ive gained weight, and the sporty seems a lot smaller for 2 up riding than i remember, lol...been checking out dynas to get, but they dont look much bigger frame wise. would going with a dyna give any more room for us? im about 5'11'' 185, and shes around 5'6'' 140ish. I know the sportys arent the best for 2 up, but i wanna get something bigger and a little more comfy, but stay within a decent price. thanks.

See if there are any demo days at dealers near you. If not you could always rent a bike. That way you could try it out and see if the bigger bike is any more comfortable for you two-up.

We went from riding a Sportster two-up to a Road King. Very comfortable for us. I've got about an inch and 100 pounds on you. My wife - well let's just say she weighs more than your fiance.

Of course now my wife has her own Fat Boy so it's become a non-issue.

We rode two up on a Dyna for years. My wife's only complaint was the pegs were uncomfortably positoned. I think you will like the performance difference between the 883 and a Dyna.

My wife is about the same size as your passenger. I am 6'2", 205. We did thousands of two-up miles on my Super Glide in reasonable comfort.

My wife now has a XL1200C. We were riding one day and my clutch cable broke. We mounted up her Sportster to get home and grab my truck and trailer. Two-up on her Sportster wasn't near as comfortable as my Super Glide.

Getting married...I know the best wedding present (her own ride).:newsmile092:

Now seriously, take the fiance/new wife to the dealer & sit on a few bikes. Once you narrow them down - time for a test ride. Might focus on the Street Bob or Road Glide. Good Luck!

When I had a Sportster and Dyna, it was very noticeable when I had a passenger on the Sportster. Same passenger on the Dyna, barely noticeable.

First of all, you don't mention whether you're talking about new or used bikes. Second, you need to consider how much of the time you'll be riding 2 up or long distances with overnights involved.

If you mainly like to do day rides and it's not 100% with a passenger all the time, then a Dyna should fit the bill perfectly. If you find you enjoy longer days in the saddle with a passenger more often than not, you should probably consider at least a Softail model and maybe even a Touring bike.

As mentioned previously, demo days or rentals are great for helping you narrow that decision down. But most dealers have plenty of used bikes sitting around so why wait? Go in, explain what you're thought process is, and create your own demo day by test riding several different models.

Good luck and let us know which direction you end up going!

if your gonna do 2 up step up to a softail or better yet a Touring bike.. i have both and the softail is different 2 up we are comfortable on either but the touring just rides so much better for 2 up

I used to have a 1200C Sportster. 2 up was not so cool.
Now I have a Street Bob. I'm 6'2" 200lbs and the wife is about the same as yours 140ish. We are much more comfortable now. Get a backrest. It will keep you from banging helmets.

2 up.
IMG_4295.jpg

I much prefer the look of my bike solo.
SBwetrear2shot.jpg

Well there are single guys who would confuse what are dumb questions relating to bikes and gals...but this being about bikes (I think) you have eluded to the correct answer, it is YOUR increase in weight that is making you feel a bit more uncomfortable than before.

As far as a Dyna verses a Sportster, I always believe, the easiest decision is not having to make one...get BOTH, then you have your solo ride you feel ALWAYS are comfortable with AND the Dyna that you both will be comfortable on. Our gals are always asking us to make choices...why bother when we can have the whole deal and no one being the wiser and you coming out to be a GENIUS.

Back