free website stats program Please dont laugh, but | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Please dont laugh, but

I never let go of the handle when filling... too easy for the auto-shutoff to be broken.

Also, I TRY not to use a single hose pump (ones that dispense varying octanes through the same hose). The guy in front of me probably bought the cheap stuff, and when the pump shuts off, a lot of that cheapo gas is left in the hose. I am not paying premium price to get 1/8 or 1/10th cheap gas dilution!!

Lastly... it only takes 60 or 90 seconds to fill-up. PAY ATTENTION!!! no spill / splash at the end means you won't has to wash the tank. Do NOT wipe the tank (if you get splash) with those nasty papertowels at the gas station. You might as well just use a ROCK to wipe the gas off your tank!

On another note, don't overfill your tank especially in the summer as the heat causes the gas vapors to expand and you will have gas seeping out from your gas cap.

Don't trust the pump to shut off automatically. I was filling up my car at an unfamiliar station while traveling, and when I came out of the store my tank had overflowed and gas was all over the place. I told the store manager and he gave me a bucket of absorbant to throw on it. They should cut off autmatically, but some places don't do a very good job with maintenance. I'm sure it's a law that they should cut off automatically, but don't rely on the nozzels doing it.

Putting gas in your tank is fairly straight forward, complicated by the emission control "bellows" shroud over the nozzle. Trick is to retract it manually with the left hand, guiding it into the narrow hole. If you leave a little gap where you can look down into the filler hole slightly (wear your glasses as it can "spit back") and gas up at 1/2 to 1/4 speed...when you hear the gas rising near the nozzle it will bubble and should click the auto-shut off. If not, you can visually see when the gas is rising to the lower filler hole and DO NOT TOP OFF. Only if you are in a remote place where you are worried about running out, fill it right level to the low fill hole.

Yes, before I get a lot of grief...only do the top off thing if you are really worried about getting gas in remote areas, as the risk of spillage and overflow are high, unless you run out the extra gas for 25-50 miles. Know what your approximate fuel mileage is and rough calculate based on your tank size and what is perceived use.

something to remember that i didnt see anyone mention is when you are dispensing gas from any pump into any vehicle is to make sure that the nozzle is making contact with the gas tank rim somewhere this keeps things grounded if you are not making contact static electricity could jump a spark between the two and you could get a flash up....

stuipd and useless info is what im good for sometimes.....

I alwyas bring some paper towel in my back pocket or in my bags when I know I'm going to need gas just in case I spill a drop or 2. Seems like gas stations rarely have towels in the dispensers at the pumps anymore.

I alwyas bring some paper towel in my back pocket or in my bags when I know I'm going to need gas just in case I spill a drop or 2. Seems like gas stations rarely have towels in the dispensers at the pumps anymore.

Go with a rag over paper towel- it's abrasive.:(

Back