free website stats program Pipes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pipes

Hey guys, thanks for the knowledge and tips about the choices on the pipes. Now I am faced with another question for you if I can. If I choose to add pipes, is this something I can do myself or should i take it to the dealer? I would like to think I am fairly mechanically incline and I put pipes on a shadow that I had a couple of years ago pretty easily. Also, will I be needing a fuel package or anything else to do this. I was at the dealer today just looking at some stuff and talked to them about pipes. They tell me that if I am looking at pipes say roughly around $600 or so and then I should plan on the total cost being somewhere around $1500.00. Help please?

Gary,

If you have the inclination and ability, pipes/slip-ons are easy AS LONG AS THEY ARE THE RIGHT ONES FOR YOUR BIKE. If not, it is much harder.

I agree with what is said above. Go ahead and do your "STAGE 1" yourself. New freer flowing pipes/slip-ons and a high-flow breather (Stage 1 Choices - Harley Davidson Community) will let the beast breath better. After up-grading, you will need to have the control system remapped based on those, or get yourself a TFI and adjust the fuel mixture yourself.

TQ

Gary - Just my .02 cents but I was able to buy a set of Vance and Hines Big Shots Longs for my 02 Heritage and the gaskets that go with them, the Power Commander III USB, and the Stage 1 Air Cleaner with K&N air filter and all were fairly easy processes to install with basic tools. All that probably came out to about $1000 or maybe a little bit more. I saved on labor and got the satisfaction of doing it myself and believe it or not, the bike still runs....who would of thunk it??

I have Cycle Shack pipes on mine. They are very inexpensive, sound great, look great, and came highly recommended by a couple local engine builders.

Don't any of you guys have digital cameras?
:newsmile048::newsmile048::newsmile048::
SBwash.jpg

2006 Street Bob.
Cobra Speedster Shorts, Hypercharger w/ hi flo K&N and a remap of the ECM.

Stay away from SE pipes.

A few month's ago I bought my first Harley, so now I am wanting to think about putting pipes on her and I was looking for suggestions. I kind like the looks of the stock pipes where you have one over the other one and they are staggered at the end, if that makes any sense. Thanks!

Back