free website stats program Passenger Riding along | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger Riding along

Heard this once..."--with great power comes great responsibility..." :D
Seriously, just take time to get use to your bike, solo, 100 miles or 2-3 hours of serious parking lot maneuvers or more is good...then like krikket said, work out the details of communicating with your pillion partner, getting aboard...after rider has leaned the bike up and started it up, remembering when riding to keep centered, keeping things smooth and steady with the pilot, especially when taking turns.

Maintaining a little space between your upper bodies to prevent clashing when starting and stopping helps. Practice in an empty lot with all your gear is a good thing, learning to turn the bike lock to lock with all the extra laden weight (keeping eyes up looking around a turn), and perform all your "stop and go" sequences, low and high speed at the beginning of the riding season and you should be good to go. Preparation and practice extends your survival "reserve" for that time you will need your extra 2/10's riding skill.

Last edited:
Heard this once..."--with great power comes great responsibility..." :D
Seriously, just take time to get use to your bike, solo, 100 miles or 2-3 hours of serious parking lot maneuvers or more is good...then like krikket said, work out the details of communicating with your pillion partner, getting aboard...after rider has leaned the bike up and started it up, remembering when riding to keep centered, keeping things smooth and steady with the pilot, especially when taking turns.

Maintaining a little space between your upper bodies to prevent clashing when starting and stopping helps. Practice in an empty lot with all your gear is a good thing, learning to turn the bike lock to lock with all the extra laden weight (keeping eyes up looking around a turn), and perform all your "stop and go" sequences, low and high speed at the beginning of the riding season and you should be good to go. Preparation and practice extends your survival "reserve" for that time you will need your extra 2/10's riding skill.

Maybe because my wife and I had ridden together for 20yrs. before my 8yrs. absense I wasn't worried about it:D

I was in the same situtation when I bought my 2009 Road King. Hadn't ridden in many years and wanted to be sure I was comfortable before brining the wife. I initially set an arbitrary goal of 2000 miles before I rode two up. However, I found that after several hundred miles I was totally comfortable with the bike and riding two up.

Bottom line is YOU have to feel confident.

I though this post was labelled

Passenger riding alone.

I wouldn't recommend that.

cdn-bigfoot...you are always entertaining...Hey, come to think of it...

Has there ever been any "two" Big-feet sightings up there? I don't recall ever seeing blurry photos of ya with a mate or two-up anywhere...must be another urban(e) legend. :D

cdn-bigfoot...you are always entertaining...Hey, come to think of it...

Has there ever been any "two" Big-feet sightings up there? I don't recall ever seeing blurry photos of ya with a mate or two-up anywhere...must be another urban(e) legend. :D

I have 2 feet.
Just one of them is big.
Which is why I tend to walk in circles a lot.

I found that getting them on for the first time is the issue. They are a little scared but after the first ride you can't get them off. Great tips in this post get confident with your own abilities first. I have been riding for 20 years and I get a little nervous with someone behind me. Its a lot of responsablity.

Back