free website stats program Parts Help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Parts Help

I can buy a Complete Screaming Eagle Compensator that comes with a New Rotor for $249.
And that is MSRP. It can be gotten for $200 flat.

Unless your year/model is "one of a kind" and the part fits only 1 year, I can not see just the Rotor (part only) costing $400.

The word "kit" may include the Stator which he will keep because yours is still Good..:D

Something is just not right. Go to a parts manual and look up the part number of your rotor NOT as a kit.

The other part I don't understand is the "slipping" of the rotor. If it was slipping, the noise would be terrible. I realize you only wanted a source for a lower cost part so you did not give details on why you were replacing it/charging issue/regulator etc but the whole thing just makes no sense to me.

Now our friends in Canada may have to pay that price. Is that where you are from.

I saw for myself that the rotor was not turning the same as the crank. He showed me an old one and said that it was probably damaged on the spline part of the bore. The issue is charging and there was a feeling of vibration from the left side which would go along with the rotor issue. And yes up here in Canada we do seem to get hosed on parts, that is why many us turn cross border rides into parts pick up days as well

Great point Don...At least on my ride I can not see the rotor from the Derby cover.

I am beginning to think the word "kit" include a complete new compensator.
Which is fine because there is nothing wrong with installing a new compensator but even then $400 seems like a lot of dough to me.

I think you may be right and replacing the compensator is not a bad thing to do, but only if it is replaced with the SE replacemant. If something is shifting at the compensator how would you know without taking off the rotor and looking at the splines?

Ok, I know I only come in and post once in awhile but a couple of things don't sound right here. First, didn't Harley come out with a TSB for a slipping compensator caused by incorrect clamp load? Second, the rotor is splinned, how can it slip unless the the splines are wiped out because of the lack of correct clamp load caused by the compensator.

the rotor is splinned, how can it slip unless the the splines are wiped out because of the lack of correct clamp load caused by the compensator.

I may be wrong but...
Don't the rotor splines engage with splines on the Crank? When I installed my SE compensator the rotor went on First and engages with the crank. (??)

Hopefully the Crank splines are harder than the rotor splines..

(Ok..now I understand the cost due to your location... $400 is a BARGAIN!!.. GRAB IT!):p

Ok, I know I only come in and post once in awhile but a couple of things don't sound right here. First, didn't Harley come out with a TSB for a slipping compensator caused by incorrect clamp load? Second, the rotor is splinned, how can it slip unless the the splines are wiped out because of the lack of correct clamp load caused by the compensator.

I would be interested if there was a tsb on this, as you say the splines must be wiped, that is the only reason it could slip.

I would be interested if there was a tsb on this, as you say the splines must be wiped, that is the only reason it could slip.

OK once more I'm lost. If the nut holding the rotor/compensator on is tight how can you, by hand, turn the rotor? the slack in the chain will let you turn the whole assembly, but how do you know if the splines are worn, twisted? How do you know if it's the spline on the rotor or the splines on the crank?

If the splines on the rotor were worn off, there would be a lot of metal pieces floating around inside the primary cover. This, IMO, would have to be caused by a loose compensator nut.

OK once more I'm lost. If the nut holding the rotor/compensator on is tight how can you, by hand, turn the rotor? the slack in the chain will let you turn the whole assembly, but how do you know if the splines are worn, twisted? How do you know if it's the spline on the rotor or the splines on the crank?
Well the crank is hardened steel, the rotor is not so I am "assuming" it's the rotor, if it's the crank then I am in deep [EDIT]

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back