free website stats program overheated....issue? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

overheated....issue?

I have an '03 Ultra.

What my Opinion. Even if the answer is "No" your going to get it anyway. :) I throw this out because I want some feedback.

I truly believe you have Nothing to worry about since you have a 2003 model year. The real over-temp Hot engines really did not start to hit the seen until the "96" came along.

My living Example. => I went on a ride with 4 buddies. I have a 2009 "96" and there was another 2010 "96". One guy had a 1979 AMF Sportster and the last guy had a 2002 Heritage.

I brought along a surface Pyro temp gauge just because I wanted to see whose cylinder heads would be coolest. I really believed it would be me because of the custom non-closed loop maps I have in my ECM. The Guy who had the Sportster was carb. The other 2010 "96" had STOCK maps but a set of slip on's and an A/C. The History on the Heritage is unknown to me or the owner. I have no idea what is in that bike as far as fuel compensation. (but I will be finding out)

The day was Brutal.! Air temp had to be mid 90 degrees. All of us were riding hard and pulled into a place for lunch. I shout "don't turn off the engines" we are taking cylinder head temps...

I came in at 302*. The other 2010 came in at 304*

The Heritage came in at 225* Yes 225*. Trust me, my eye balls came out of my head. I tried every way to Georgia to get higher readings and could not.That bike probably could have idled all day and would not have cared. That engine was actually "cool" compared to mine. I was BOTH mad & jealous!! :p

I believe the REALLY high temps came along when the "96" was introduced. I bet you have little to worry about in comparison to the "96" engines.

No 03 does not have they system.
However 03 is a little bit different and does not throw as much heat as the TC96 do.
Honestly there are many 03 HD on the road as far as hurting the engine it is not a big concern. Run good oil and ride.
If you are sitting best to let it idle more RMPs more heat and long as your engine is in good shape oil pressure is not an issue. It is suppose to be lower at idle.
If you know you aint moving of 20 minutes shut the thing off it will start.
Thanks for the feedback Smitty. I can breath a little easier now. I just wanted to be on the safe side here. I do run a full synthetic (Mobil 1) thanks to this forum!! :s

Humm. I wouldn't go as far as saying that... I really don't think the current stock "96" or "103" could take much of that. Within 3 minutes of idle, my engine goes into heat management and the front head is at 315*. The rear has to be higher.

I'm not aware of any issues with police bikes overheating and yes, they see severe service in all kinds of climates.

I would be very interested to hear if someone knows different but we have a number of 96" police bikes in our stable that are ridden hard and put away wet every day yet still provide thousands of trouble free miles.

I have not seen one of these bikes in the shop yet because of damage to rings or pistons from being overheated.

I'm not aware of any issues with police bikes overheating and yes, they see severe service in all kinds of climates.

I have not seen one of these bikes in the shop yet because of damage to rings or pistons from being overheated.

It is refreshing to hear news like that. I am so use to working/owning water cooled engines that numbers like 325 degrees make me shake. I guess these engines can take alot more than I realize and that is a good thing.

You'll drive yourself nuts but after a week you will not care anymore.

Your Right Smitty... I am just about at that point now. What the heck,,worse comes to worse ya throw a kit on it and make it New again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And the under powered Flathead could idle all day long and never over heat:s

At one time the plug wrench was my most used tool, never went any were without it. Now it is the least used and do not even carry one.

Same here, tho in Daytona a few years back I helped a guy from New York, his RG would not run . I used to carry plugs and wrench on my baggers, it helped him out, :s

That's interesting. I have never read anywhere that would take place on Extreme over-temps. It SURE would be a Great feature to have. First chance I get I will substitute a potentiometer for my front cylinder temp sensor and dial in some crazy temps and see what happens.

The way I understand it, the touring EITMS firmware is a little different than the FX firmware. So it is possible my FX would not do that (?) ..
I wish I knew someone on the inside of the MoCo and was able to find out the real nuts & bolts of how it all really worked.

Hey, hoop,
It's taken me awhile to respond because I wanted to find where I read/heard that the EITMS system would shut down the engine before any damage as I hate to spread misinformation. Well, this must be my week to be wrong. I could not find it. The only thing I can think of is when I had my 06 RKC and she kept shutting down in traffic at Daytona Bike week. Someone told me not to worry because the engine was designed to shut down before any heat damage occurred. I know this bike had a different heat management system (parade mode) but I assumed (1) that was a true statement and (2) that it applied to the EITMS. Now I can't substantiate either. I can tell you I owned that RK for another year and never had any engine problems. Anyway, sorry for engaging my mouth without having my brain in gear.

Mark

Anyway, sorry for engaging without having my brain in gear.

Never a problem. It made me also think a little deeper about the topic, plus The Tank brought some Great documents to the table. That's what it is all about..:s

Back