free website stats program Out For A Bit... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Out For A Bit...

Good luck on your operation Joy. Praying for a speedy recovery

Thanks all, the doctor said the surgery went very well. It was very painful last night when the pain block wore off, but it was much better today; or I just got used to that level of pain. . It is very painful to try to move my fingers currently, but I am working them a bit several times a day. I have my first therapy appointment Friday morning, that should be a good time.

Definite good luck,I've had a few surgery's suggested,but the odd's always sucked. Hopefully you'll be better off!

@jamesearl , this has 98% success rate, whereas the cortizone shots are temporary & very painful, but also had only a 70% success rate. With those odds, I figured a short term painful procedure that seems to work and have a permanent fix would be the best route for men. I have talked to a few people that have had this procedure and they all said to do it now & not wait.

Good luck, you can ask for a patch behind your ear to help with nausea from the anesthesia. It really helps
Learning how to tie shoes with my left hand only took a few attempts but my writing clearly was about 3 months.
But on the plus side I only had to spin my coffee cup and like magic it became a left handed cup!!

@Joe, they did send me home with a patch behind my ear, it seemed to help. I did get nauseous a few times, but I didn't hurl, so that was a plus. I just tied all my shoes tied loosely & slip them on with a shoe horn.

Okay, I am now just tired. :(. I'm not even a week in and am feeling frustrated. But, I know it will get better. Paddington has been a good couch coach so far, and I am glad of it.

Yesterday was my first therapy appointment and that went well. I got the surgical wrap off and I am now in a removable splint. The incision looked very good, no seepage or anything around it. I can remove the splint for showering, but I am absolutely NOT allowed to use my thumb for anything. I only have a few exercises I am supposed to do, and ironically, I was already doing those things anyway because they felt good. Like moving my arm to stretch my shoulder. Apparently a lot of people keep their arms close to their body and ultimately suffer a shoulder injury. Therefore, I think I'm ahead of the game there. Then there is the act of moving my fingers, which was incredibly painful at first. I'm pretty comfortable moving all of my fingers except the index finger. That one still smarts a bit, but I can make a fist, which is where the therapist said I should be. But I am amazed at the lack of strength in all of my fingers. I can't even hold part of a t-shirt on any of my fingers.

Add to the every day frustrations a new level of pain with the swelling all around the hand and all, (rather than getting all the swelling pushed out to my fingers) I feel like I took a few steps back rather than forward. So, ice packs & pillows are my best friends next to Paddington.

No more doctoring until 11/30, so I will hopefully continue on the right track and get stronger each day until then. My therapist said my rule of 'if it hurts, don't do it' was a good rule to follow. So I will continue to do what I can and ice & elevate so hopefully I will be ready to excel once I am released to do more.

I know it is a complilcated surgery but it sounds like you are well on the way to a full recovery, maybe sooner rather than later. I have had my share of surgeries, triple bypass 30 years ago, hernia repair 15 years ago and major shoulder reconstruction 4 years ago. Probably the two most important things to a full and speedy recovery are, firstly, being diligent with the PT, i.e., not missing sessions and repeating the exercises at home as often as possible and secondly, just because everything looks and feels good, don't push the recovery as it will lead to a set back; be patient. This I know from persoal experience with every surgery I have had.

Hang in there, you will be beter sooner than you think.;)

I know it is a complilcated surgery but it sounds like you are well on the way to a full recovery, maybe sooner rather than later. I have had my share of surgeries, triple bypass 30 years ago, hernia repair 15 years ago and major shoulder reconstruction 4 years ago. Probably the two most important things to a full and speedy recovery are, firstly, being diligent with the PT, i.e., not missing sessions and repeating the exercises at home as often as possible and secondly, just because everything looks and feels good, don't push the recovery as it will lead to a set back; be patient. This I know from persoal experience with every surgery I have had.

Hang in there, you will be beter sooner than you think.;)

Thank you dolt, I'm good on going to therapy. I Know it was pretty serious reconstructive stuff in there, I realized that when it took such an effort to even bend my fingers the next day, I still don't have any strength in my fingers overall. But I am doing the exercises prescribed diligently. My next therapy appointment isn't until the 30th, so still very limited use. Limited, like no use at all.

But I'm still hanging in there. 1 Week down, 7 to go before the fun starts. (12 weeks before all restrictions are lifted). ;)

Glad to hear that you're doing well.
Keep working those fingers but don't over do it you're going to want to toss the little guy the ball accurately, not over the fence.

Well done Joy! Always good when things go to plan- especially invasive surgery.
Have to say it would appear that Dolt can give Health care tips just as well as his H-D expertise.

Some time back I mentioned I’d hurt my back and not ridden at all this year.
Apparently I did such a bang up job I had to have surgery on my spine to free trapped nerves and some other stuff which is easier to write about than experience.
I’ve been doing exactly as Dolt preaches- as difficult as it sometimes is.
Everything he said from being diligent to consistent to being careful with what you do and being reasonable about the injury.
I have a 6-9 month recovery and it is VERY hard to back down from trying just that little bit extra to heal quicker.
Do what you’re expected to do: but don’t exceed or go over whatever your Surgeon recommended.
Good luck.

Thank you Biscuit, I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well too. Recovery is hard, yesterday was a rough day, but today is much better. Typing is hard, I'm either only using my left hand only, or regretting when I try to use my right hand too. So far, my therapy is welcomed, it is mostly for my shoulder. I have to remind myself that even though I'm feeling better. I can't overdo it or I will regret it. So, still doing limited things around the house. ;)

Back