free website stats program Out For A Bit... | Harley Davidson Forums

Out For A Bit...

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
I hope you all are doing well, and I know as of late, I haven't been online much, so therefore won't be missed. :D However, I am going in tomorrow morning bright and early to have some reconstructive surgery on my thumb to alleviate the arthritis pain. I am a bit nervous, since short of the appendectomy, I have never had any kind of big procedures like this on myself. Add to that a history of nausea & vomiting after anesthesia and I am really excited about this. :) But seriously, my thumb has hurt so bad the last two months, that I am more than ready to get this done & over with. The doctor says it is a 3-6 month recovery, so I was hoping to not go down the surgery route, but it has severely limited my activities this summer, so Paddington & I decided to just fix it proper and have fun next summer. :D

Here is an animated video if you want to watch it, (no blood or anything, I get sick too easy) but unfortunately, unlike the video, the procedure will take about 90 minutes for the doctor to complete, and afterwards, my thumb will be completely immobilized for about 6 weeks. He said the first week will be pretty rough, so we will see. If you see me appear, then the first week isn't so bad.

And, of course, it is on my right hand, and I am of course right handed. I have tried to practice being left handed & to not use my thumb at all, and that is hard...

Last edited:
Definite good luck,I've had a few surgery's suggested,but the odd's always sucked. Hopefully you'll be better off!

Good luck, you can ask for a patch behind your ear to help with nausea from the anesthesia. It really helps
Learning how to tie shoes with my left hand only took a few attempts but my writing clearly was about 3 months.
But on the plus side I only had to spin my coffee cup and like magic it became a left handed cup!!

Good luck with that procedure. The happy juice that they are using lately seems to have no after affect at all, so hopefully you will be just fine.

Back