free website stats program Ouch! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ouch!

I can only imagine how you must feel.
It could have been worse had YOU not been taking it easy (35MPH) instead of the road speed.
My thoughts are of you sons health and a speedy recovery.

Natural to feel this way as his father but not true. You were in the lead and were well under the speed limit. Just a very sad merging of inexperience and sneaky road conditions.

I agree. I hope your son recovers soon and gets back on the bike.

Get well and wishing your son and wife a full recovery. It is hard not to feel responsible, but one of the things about learning to ride solo or riding with other experienced riders, there are many things to watch out for that the experienced rider takes for granted. Off camber turns and crests with road fallaway sharply right or left when banking is something best learned solo and not at speeds approaching 50mph for 3rd gear turns, too much mass and momentum to carry through unknown twisty roads...

This is the time to evaluate what you did right and what you did wrong, and learn what strategy to use to prevent this from happening again. Quite honestly an experienced rider must make special effort to remember when leading less experienced riders, to tap the brakes and use hand signals if hazards on the road are encountered, but there are very few countermeasures for situation you and your son came across. Only your son and you can understand what needs to be done. Just another reminder to us all that whenever the riding season starts, we should practice, and do so often, with novices and entry riders even more so.

Last edited:
Prayers for your son and a speedy recovery. Noone wants to see a family member hurt riding. Thankfully it wasn't worse.

What's that stat I heard when I started riding: there's a 100% possibility of a new rider being involved in an accident.:(
Now he's got his first streetbike accident out of the way hopefully he'll continue to ride and learn from this.

The important thing is that he's alive and going to recover.

I'll think about you all and hope some of those thoughts reach your family.

Back