free website stats program opening derby cover | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

opening derby cover

Smitty

My fxdx is 04, I think it uses the flat one eh? Or??

If reusing the old gasket, would there be a chance of oil slipping out the cover? This ever happen?

Nothing could be easier so relax. The bolts are not tight. (At least they are not suppose to be). I have changed multiple derby covers and it is as straight forward as it gets. Just be sure to retorque properly. Biggest danger IMO is overtightening. As far as the gasket, I have always reused. If it has multiple changes or is a few years old, go spend a couple bucks and replace. No big deal. If you can ride your motorcycle you can change the derby cover. Oil leakage should be of no concern unless over filled from my experience. Took me longer to find my tools than it did to do the job.

Two things, if you have no motorcycle jack, you can park your bike in gear next to a wooden fence leaning slightly against it (slide wood/brick under jiffy stand to secire)...or if you have a garage, use two 99 cent bicycle hooks & Ancra strap(s) to a couple wall studs to secure your bike leveling it. If you choose to remove the Derby cover, the gear oil should just touch the low clutch gear as shown in your manual.

If correct, drain into a clear container and measure amount taken out...should be 1 Quart or 32 oz (4 cups). If you now know the correct amount...the next time you do not have to loosen the 10 T27 Torx fasteners or remove the Derby cover; just drain as normal, clean magnetic plug & possibly replace o-ring/gasket and torque down.

Last edited:
+1 on a new gasket,I use a new one everytime I change my primary oil,and new drain plug o-rings every time I change motor and trans.oil

changing derby cover

finally changed the derby cover.

just wanna share how i (a nubie) did it

1. buy 1 of these (any model you like)
derby01k.jpg

2. Prepare the tools.
i used 2 carjacks, torx driver (i call it star screw driver), small - screw driver (orange 1 in the pic), and some old papers.
derby02.jpg
derby07.jpg

3. Place 1 car jack under the fin, jack it up so the fin could sit right on the jack.
derby06.jpg

4. Place the other car jack like so in the pic, get some1 to hold the bike from the right side, and lift the bike up slightly tilting to the right (to minimize oil drop when openning the primary cover).
derby05.jpg

5.Unscrew all the cover bolts. in my case, the bolts werent that dead locked so, it was easy. Few hits around the cover with your hand a few times gently to losen the cover sitting. Then slide just the tip (not even the whole tip though) of - screw driver start from the arrow in the pic. Twist the driver gently. Do this around the cover and should be easier than the first.
derby09.jpg

6. pull the cover out gently, (dont wanna break the gasket), dont let the gasket stick along the cover while pulling out the cover. Try as possible to let the gasket stay intact with the primary body.
derby04.jpg

7. If no damages on the gasket, put the new cover on. Screw the bolts hand tightly (not the whole arm strength) in the sequence like so in the pic.
derby03j.jpg

8. The finish:D
derby08.jpg

Tobaman, thanks for sharing the pictures. Words are good but pictures are better.It's always nice to see exactly what someone is talking about. Oh, and congratulations on changing your first derby cover.

Nothing could be easier so relax. The bolts are not tight. (At least they are not suppose to be). I have changed multiple derby covers and it is as straight forward as it gets. Just be sure to retorque properly. Biggest danger IMO is overtightening. As far as the gasket, I have always reused. If it has multiple changes or is a few years old, go spend a couple bucks and replace. No big deal. If you can ride your motorcycle you can change the derby cover. Oil leakage should be of no concern unless over filled from my experience. Took me longer to find my tools than it did to do the job.

for me, the cover removal part was difficult to do since trying to avoid breaking the gasket. that was my first though.

oil leakage was almost 0.:D

Back