free website stats program opening derby cover | Harley Davidson Forums

opening derby cover

tobaman

Gonna change my stock derby cover.
how to do properly?
Do I need to be extra cautious when opening the cover? perhaps like oil spill or gasket seal??
Thanks!!!

You might loose a bit of oil so use a pan. Use the proper size torx bit, I think a #27. I have always been able to reuse the old gasket. If you have an impact driver that is good because the screws might need a little persuasion to come loose.

#27 torx,put a thin board under kick stand to prevent oil leakage.Stagger the bolts when you tighten them. Done.

Put 2x4 under kickstand to straighten the bike up if you think the primary is overfull. Then take off the derby cover.

When I was going to replace mine I was told to replace the gasket and keep the bike level. Well, I couldn't get the torx screws out so off to the dealer I went. Dealer told me in order to break them look insert torx bit and tap it with a hammer to break them loose.

Good luck!

how to do properly?
Do I need to be extra cautious when opening the cover? perhaps like oil spill or gasket seal??
Thanks!!!

If any oil comes out when you remove the derby cover when the bike is on the stand, you are probably too full to start with. Check your service manual for the proper level.

Replace the quad seal or derby cover gasket (whichever you have).

The screws are Torx #27s, and should not be so tight that you can not loosen them with a 1/4" drive ratchet and a Torx bit. If they are, someone has gone over-board or glued them in (Lock-tite). If they are being stubborn, do as someone suggested above - put the Torx bit in the screw and give it a sharp rap with a little hammer on the hex or socket end of the bit. These screws are only supposed to be torqued (like torque wrench!!) to 90-120 in-lbs.

TQ

When I changed my derby cover, I as well had to use a different style gasket for the new cover. This was on a 2009, not sure about yours but you might want to check first.

hm..didnt think itd be this complicated...changing engine/gear oil is much easier...

its breaking the gasket that makes me:panic

thanks guys!!

If you are replacing your OEM cover with an accessory cover you will probably have to use a different gasket. I replaced my OEM with the Flames Collection cover and had to change the gasket from the "O" ring style to a flat disk type. No big deal though.

how to do properly?
Thanks!!!

TAKE YOUR TIME, when I did mine the bit slipped out of the bolt and put a nice scratch across the cover. I recommend the service manual, it describes how to do this plus about a thousand other useful things.

Best $70 I ever spent.

Back