free website stats program Old tires - not a happy camper! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Old tires - not a happy camper!

Please allow me to show how ignorant I am. I had no idea you should check the dates on tires. Didn't even know it was printed on them. So one year is the accepted expiration date on them? I mean it makes sense, just never thought about it. :newsmile081:

That is MY accepted expiration wrt to buying a "new" tire. BikeBandit.com just told me that their policy is that the shelf life on a tire is 5 years. I told them that it was OK with me for someone ELSE to install a 5 year old tire on their bike if they want to, but I would not put a replacement tire on my bike that was already over a year old. That is just my view. You can decide for yourself.

TQ

TQ,

do you save a lot of money by buying your tires on line?

Well, not at this rate. I just got an email from BikeBandit.com indicating that they were also going to charge me a 20% restocking fee plus I have to pay to ship the tires back to them (that was probably in all the stuff I breezed by when I ordered). This is after calling them BEFORE I ordered the tires indicating that I did not want a tire that was over one year old when I received it. They told me that these tires were such high volume movers that I would get a recently manufactured tire. Three years? That is not recent.

I need to call them back to find out what they are actually going to do for me or not. Will keep you informed.

TQ

Maybe you can use the strength in numbers scenario. Let them know there are, as of today, 56,040 forum members watching how they handle your request to give you the manufacturing dates.

Great idea. In fact, why don't you guys write to them (service@bikebandit.com) indicating that you are a member of HDTimeline.com and are watching how they treat me in this situation before deciding whether or not to add BikeBandit.com to your list of vendors you will consider ordering from!! Strength in numbers!!

TQ

Last edited:
The last Dunlop 402 that I bought from Motorcycle Superstore was delivered to my house 9 weeks after it's manufacture date. I'm sorry to hear that M.S.S. will no longer check dates before shipping, but I think I will still buy from them because of price, fast free shipping and the volume of tires they sell should get me fresh tires again (I hope).

Great idea. In fact, why don't you guys write to them (service@bikebandit.com) indicating that you are a member of HDTimeline.com and are watching how they treat me in this situation before deciding whether or not to add BikeBandit.com to your list of vendors you will consider ordering from!! Strength in numbers!!

TQ,

I just sent them an email, hope it helps.

Great idea. In fact, why don't you guys write to them (service@bikebandit.com) indicating that you are a member of HDTimeline.com and are watching how they treat me in this situation before deciding whether or not to add BikeBandit.com to your list of vendors you will consider ordering from!! Strength in numbers!!TQ

Done.

The last Dunlop 402 that I bought from Motorcycle Superstore was delivered to my house 9 weeks after it's manufacture date. I'm sorry to hear that M.S.S. will no longer check dates before shipping, but I think I will still buy from them because of price, fast free shipping and the volume of tires they sell should get me fresh tires again (I hope).

Me too, and now I am very sorry that I ever switched away from them. They have always given me fast reliable service and their tires (no matter what brand I picked) were always under a year old.

Live and learn.

TQ

I purchased some new tires from MSS a couple weeks ago. I was very impressed by the speed of shipment and the price but The front tire I received was slightly older than I prefer and was made the 42nd week of 2010. Not terrible but not great either. It seems like it's all luck of the draw when ordering online, you just have to take what you can get.

I agree that cycle gear can be a good alternative. However, the store in my area typically doesn't have a very large stock. My store only carries the Dunlop 404's instead of the 401's. Last tire change I went with the 404 thinking they would be about the same but was very disappointed with the mileage. I only got about 5k out of them. I think they will special order tires so I might give that a shot next time.
WAP.gif

My store only carries the Dunlop 404's instead of the 401's. Last tire change I went with the 404 thinking they would be about the same but was very disappointed with the mileage. I only got about 5k out of them. I think they will special order tires so I might give that a shot next time.
WAP.gif

If you look at the load rating of the 404 vs the 401 you will probably see that the reduction in weight carring capacity is where your lost mileage went.

Pirelli used to be shipped out of Atlanta, We got alot of old tires from them @ sears, they were bad about taking them back so we broke our contract with them. T Q, I would have rejected those tires as well because of the dates

Well, not at this rate. I just got an email from BikeBandit.com indicating that they were also going to charge me a 20% restocking fee plus I have to pay to ship the tires back to them (that was probably in all the stuff I breezed by when I ordered). This is after calling them BEFORE I ordered the tires indicating that I did not want a tire that was over one year old when I received it. They told me that these tires were such high volume movers that I would get a recently manufactured tire. Three years? That is not recent.

I need to call them back to find out what they are actually going to do for me or not. Will keep you informed.

TQ

I am in need of tires and am very glad you posted your experience. I am wondering if you gave them specific instructions and they didn't follow them why you would get charged? Maybe that is why they are called bike"Bandit!! I am also going to write them and let them know after your experience that I will not be buying tires from them.

TQ,

I just sent them an email, hope it helps.

Same here . .

Back