free website stats program ok got it...77 FXS now it starts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ok got it...77 FXS now it starts

Looks like you've gained some weight and lost some hair since you were in Salt Springs. :s

Looks like you've gained some weight and lost some hair since you were in Salt Springs. :s

Lol. That's my buddy cpt Simon bike is at his house. He has a lift and more tools than me. Also a member but not on much

Thanks. Project hd to go on hold for a bit. Wife got a email from US embassy to pick up her passport so with luck she has a visa we will find out when we get there

On the bike we got the electrical done and are redoing a bad starter.

AWESOME, CAPS INTENDED:p

ok guys so here is the question. as you all know i am doing this on Margarita Island and i cant just run down the the parts store or chrome shop. i was hopping that the forks were going to beable to get cleaned up (at least a little) but as you can see i need to do something. i would like to paint them black so i am open to any and all ideas on how to do it so that it looks good and will last.

my thoughts are to attack them with a steel brush and scuff them up real good, them prime and paint (thinking on doing this to all my chrome). i do know of a good painter down there, but tools etc are VERY limited.

also thinking might be a good time to put rubber fork boots on but not sure if it will trap all the humidity

Attachments

• DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 22
The fork stanchions are hard chrome to withstand the rubbing of the seals the working area of the stanchions needs to be in perfect condition or the fork seals will very quickly leak
If there are only a few rust pits on the working area then it is possible to fill the pits with a good quality epoxy resin and sand with a fine grade paper till they are completely smooth then cover with boots
Prior to filling the pits heat up the area with a gas torch to expel any moisture
However I do not like to take chances with my life so personally I would replace the stanchions
Winter roads here in the Uk can be hard on a bike after changing the stanchions on a Motto Guzzi every spring for 2 years I fitted boots with the third set and they were still good 8 years later when the bike was sold

Brian

I agree with fin 676 as to the tube area of the seals. If it is minor minor pitting where the seals ride then you can take some 1500- 2000 grit sand paper with lubricant and sand them down. Do the sanding in round motion around the tube, not up & down. By going up & down you create small grooves that the seal could leak through. I wouldn't try to paint or powder coat. That would change to OD of the the tube and probably wear the seals out to quickly. The rubber boots would be good.
tourbox

The fork stanchions are hard chrome to withstand the rubbing of the seals the working area of the stanchions needs to be in perfect condition or the fork seals will very quickly leak
If there are only a few rust pits on the working area then it is possible to fill the pits with a good quality epoxy resin and sand with a fine grade paper till they are completely smooth then cover with boots
Prior to filling the pits heat up the area with a gas torch to expel any moisture
However I do not like to take chances with my life so personally I would replace the stanchions
Winter roads here in the Uk can be hard on a bike after changing the stanchions on a Motto Guzzi every spring for 2 years I fitted boots with the third set and they were still good 8 years later when the bike was sold

Brian

I agree with fin 676 as to the tube area of the seals. If it is minor minor pitting where the seals ride then you can take some 1500- 2000 grit sand paper with lubricant and sand them down. Do the sanding in round motion around the tube, not up & down. By going up & down you create small grooves that the seal could leak through. I wouldn't try to paint or powder coat. That would change to OD of the the tube and probably wear the seals out to quickly. The rubber boots would be good.
tourbox

thanks guys really appreciate the input and advice..

i was thinking about the part in the photo. but i might have to bite the big one and buy new up here and ship down to the island...lower part is all good. i have to take down more parts anyway...new speedo and tac with cables all lights and the list goes on...

Restoring an old bike is and expensive and time consuming hobby however it is very good for self esteem
Getting safety right is important and any areas that are not treated correctly will forever catch your eye
Take a wee bit more time and spend a wee bit more money and at the end of the project you can stand back and be very proud of your own achievement

Brian

Back