free website stats program ok got it...77 FXS now it starts | Harley Davidson Forums

ok got it...77 FXS now it starts

lorne

ok so i saw the bike for 10 min before i purchased it. was told it was a 1976 FXE...turns out to be a 77 FXS.. all the better!

got it to my buddies place and started pulling things off and having a look. with the paper work i have looks like the bike was not on the road between 93 and 99 then only a short time in 2000 as that it when it was brought down here to Margarita from Florida. electrical is a complete mess so i brought down new wiring and working on that at present. here is a few photos....anyone recognize the paint??? i think it is aftermarket but have been told that it is original and only 200 were painted like this. (i don't believe that)

Attachments

• DSCN0465.jpg
    DSCN0465.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0464.jpg
    DSCN0464.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN0466.jpg
    DSCN0466.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0267.jpg
    DSCN0267.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 60
Looks like a nice project Lorne :s
How many miles are on her?
Is that some kind of new chrome polish in that brown bottle :D

I'm not sure but isn't the color code part of the vin#. If so you should be able to find out what the original color was.

Looks like a nice project Lorne :s
How many miles are on her?
Is that some kind of new chrome polish in that brown bottle :D

the brown bottle is the lube we use down here on the Island...:bigsmiley10: and it is REALLY good...not sure on the miles says just under 6k (probably more on it) but i do know it hasn't been used for a LONG time. :newsmile024::newsmile024:

I'm not sure but isn't the color code part of the vin#. If so you should be able to find out what the original color was.

nope not on the VIN# i was also told it might be under the tank but not there either..

Last edited by a moderator:
'77 FXS specs. from "The Harley Davidson Data Book which I've found to be very reliable. 3,742 units, 1200cc, 4 speed, gun metal gray 3.5 gal tanks with smaller tach and speedo mounted, cast wheels 19 f. 16 r. Showa forks raked frame, shorter rear shocks with stiffer springs. thin deep dish king and queen seat with separate front and read sections flat drag bars on curved risers, dual front discs. highway pegs, oil cooler, black wrinkle cases barrels and heads, polished covers, separate head pipes sweep back to separate connections on a single muffler. revised (jap style) kick lever.
Harley did have a Confederate flag paint scheme, but not on the '77 FXS.
Nice find.

'77 FXS specs. from "The Harley Davidson Data Book which I've found to be very reliable. 3,742 units, 1200cc, 4 speed, gun metal gray 3.5 gal tanks with smaller tach and speedo mounted, cast wheels 19 f. 16 r. Showa forks raked frame, shorter rear shocks with stiffer springs. thin deep dish king and queen seat with separate front and read sections flat drag bars on curved risers, dual front discs. highway pegs, oil cooler, black wrinkle cases barrels and heads, polished covers, separate head pipes sweep back to separate connections on a single muffler. revised (jap style) kick lever.
Harley did have a Confederate flag paint scheme, but not on the '77 FXS.
Nice find.

Thanks Breeze
Yup same info I found. I am sure someone else did the paint. Its in good shape, was hopping to work on it some today, but need to wait until my friend gets home. He has lift and more tools than me so doing the work at his house. Plus he has a bigger beer cooler (for the thinking part of the job)

That paint scheme is very cool. It would have sold itself to me in seconds....

Fun,Fun project. Glad you finally got it. I know you will enjoy working on it. Is that you or your friend in the pics? Saw you found the shovel forum, I welcomed you. If I can be of any help just ask. Wish I had the time to go & help, but I don't.
tourbox

Nice trouble head Lorne Very nice project:D

Thanks. Project hd to go on hold for a bit. Wife got a email from US embassy to pick up her passport so with luck she has a visa we will find out when we get there

On the bike we got the electrical done and are redoing a bad starter.

Back