free website stats program oils | Harley Davidson Forums

oils

Just a guess but I really don't see them actually mixing very well and since they won't truly mix, I would think the mixture would only be as good as the "weakest link".

Not that I think they will behave or mix like oil & vinegar,, but I don't see them cross-linking very well. (?)

There's no ill effects when the two mix. The only down side is of you mix too much dino oil with synthetic, the synthetic will loose a bit of it's properties you are paying extra for. Mixing a slight amount like what is left in the oil galleries inside the engine really will not make a negligible difference.

That's too bad....I was hoping for "utter chaos and anarchy"...oh well....:D

Well, it is possible. For anyone to say that nothing bad can happen just proves what little they know about incompatibility in regards to chemicals. Similar to water and oil, when two substances are incompatible, they will fight and repel each other. What happens to compromisable friction points in an engine while this is occuring is left to debate. But what do I know, I only have 315 posts..........................

Don't they already sell syn blended oil don't know how that works but should be ok in a pinch

I've been running Spectro 20W50 Semi-Synthetic in both the Sportster and Ultra for years and it's a blend of the two. Works fine and the oil temp. was lower than the regular dino oil.

Well, it is possible. For anyone to say that nothing bad can happen just proves what little they know about incompatibility in regards to chemicals. Similar to water and oil, when two substances are incompatible, they will fight and repel each other. What happens to compromisable friction points in an engine while this is occuring is left to debate. But what do I know, I only have 315 posts..........................

Ouch! Regular and synthetic oils are not incompatible chemicals. The differences are not similar to oil and water. Some syn. motor oils are made from chemically modified petroleum oil, some are made using a chemical process known as the Fischer-Tropsch process, starting with raw materials like methane, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide. I'd post some spec. from oil companies regarding blended oils and/or mixing of regular and synthetic, but what do they know??? :newsmile07:

Back