free website stats program Oil Temp | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp

Further update. Recently went to the Road to the Son ( Logan Pass ) in Glacier Park. It was a very hot day 90 F and the oil temp at the top got to 270 F. I'll be adding an oil cooler.

I changed my '11 FatBoy to all synthetic at my 500 mile service. Purchased and installed the H-D digital oil level/temp gauge. 15 miles, 100 degree day, highway commute home, temp is usually between 215-225. One day, same kind of hot weather, and had to do some in town stops with lights, etc. Checked temp when I got home and it was 258.

I've thought of an oil cooler, but then reasoned that the only time I saw the high temps was with a lot of stop and go in 100 degree weather, so it's not like much air would be flowing through the cooler anyway.

Update. Out today temp 90 F, 20 miles on the highway & then into city, few stop lights idling etc and when I pulled into my driveway & stopped to check the oil temp it was 235 F. Before the cooler under these same conditons it would be 250 +.

I've found that with the cooler the oil runs about 20-30 F degrees cooler. Not a lot but certainly worth the money and most of the time it keeps the oil temp at 220 - 230 F ( which is the normal operating temp of the oil.)

Run full syn & bike is completely stock.

I too, am concerned over my oil temperature. My '08 Heritage's oil gets real hot in high ambient temps (80-90 degrees). In medium traffic conditions it runs 250-260+ degrees. In normal highway speeds (40-60 MPH) it runs around 230.

These high temps have been a concern of mine since I purchased this bike used with 4600 miles. I will be doing an oil change and will use Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 syn oil as others have suggested. Hopefully this will lower the oil temperature.

If the syn oil doesn't run at a lower, more comfortable (for me) temperature, then an oil cooler might be next.

I added a 6 row Jagg oil cooler along with a K&P oil filter that I purchased from Baisley Performance. The combination of increased oil flow and the oil cooler has kept my oil temperature at 205 max, even in town. I contacted Blackstone before buying the oil filter and their feeling is that it is at least as good as if not better than the 5 micron factory filter. The insolubles on the reports from users have been lower than the averages they usually see so they see no problem with this choice.
When stopped in traffic if you hold your hand above the cooler you can feel all the heat rising, of course it would be better with movement but anything helps. Does anyone have radiant hot water heating in their house? The entire house is heated by convection from radiators and there aren't normally any fans involved in these systems. Point being that any radiator will dissipate heat to some degree even if there is no moving air. Will update post with results of first report from Blackstone. Shouldn't be too long.

What you posted here, I've said many times when the argument is that oil coolers don't help while standing still.

At least there's two of us that understand this.:D

If an oil cooler can't dissipate heat when the bike is stopped than neither can the engine. If that was true, why do I hear people talk about fried thighs sitting at stop-lights? JMHO

Back