free website stats program Oil Temp | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp

Depending on the ambient temps any where from about 210 to 260 then you would want to run synthetic oil.

I also have a Fatboy Lo, :D last year when I bought it and ran it for 1st 1000 miles the temp would get up to 220 max on the normal oil. I switched to full synthetic and the temp is around 200-210 in 90 degree weather, but it usually runs anywhere from 180(winter) to 210(summer) but it depends on the traffic, weather (windy days it always cooler), etc... I bought one of those analog thermometers dipsticks and can glance down while sitting at a redlight and see what the temp is. If you dont have one I highly recommend it. I asked my dealer if I should get an oil cooler and he said he doesnt use one, and so far the temp hasnt spiked enough to scare me yet into buying a cooler and I ride almost everyday to work on it. Plus my legs tell me when the engine is getting hot :newsmile014: Thinking about a shield for the heat. I Hope this helps you!

From the manual:
NOTE
Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
(230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
RPM and normal operating temperature.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I took two 250 - 300 mile rides last weekend ('07 FLHTC stage 1) with ambient air temps. of 95 degrees. My oil temp gauge (sensor is in bottom of oil pan) read 250° at cruising speeds of 55/60 mph in 5th gear. It climbed quickly in traffic areas, but went back to 250° when back to cruising speed.

My 08 Softail - completely stock - on analog oil gauge in the oil tank, I get readings of around 230-240 in the city with the usual stop & go driving. The ambient temps are about 90 F at the time.

I have an analog HD gauge I purchased and mounted in my inner fairing. I have a hard time reading it. They have 5 sets of numbers and 4 dots. Even the segments between dont add up. Its in MHO a poor design. I need to get a digital gauge. Seeing what some of you are running at. That would scare me if I was running those temps. But until I get the new gauge. I wont know what temps Im truly running at.

Back