free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge

Did you accidently insulate the electrical sending unit from ground by using something like teflon tape on the threads? I have never installed or have seen an HD kit but that would apply to most kits. If you can link me to the HD instructions, I can tell you what to check.

(teflon tape belongs in land fills along with resettable circuit breakers):p

Hi Guys,
Now please dont laugh... but... whats the point of the oil temp gauge ?. Its the gauge that comes in form of a screw which replaces the oil fill cap right ? If all is working super well etc.. what does if anything oil temp tell you & how can it be of use ? In Montreal the HD dealer sells it for $180
Tks

If all is working super well etc.. what does if anything oil temp tell you & how can it be of use ? In Montreal the HD dealer sells it for $180
Tks

I thought he installed a hard wired gauge in the dash/fairing? He said something about "wiring" which made me think it was not a dip-stick style.

It's use? I guess if you get caught in traffic and your overheating, you can see if your reaching your limits. I don't have an oil temp gauge myself but if I did, I would shut her down if I saw it getting up there in stalled traffic. (?)

i did install the sensor in the pan and did use locktite thread sealer. this is a liquid sealer that harley says to use to seal the threads. the kit comes with an adapter to screw in the oil pan, so you have to seal that and then the sensor screws into the adapter and you have to put thread sealer on that. i would have thought that the oil pan adapter and sensor would ground when tightened. i can try to back out the adapter and rethread to see if thats the problem. i suppose it could be the gauge but nobody has complained about defects, maybe i have the first one.....thanks

Israguard; The gauge broncobob installed replaces the ambient air temperature gauge in the fairing. The thermocouple of it usually screws into the oil pan. The oil temp. gauge you referenced just replaces the stock oil fill/dipstick. I guess it measures temp. ok, but you can't see it when riding, and there have been lots of reports of them not lasting long. Why oil temp. gauge? Just another engine monitor to worry me, or give me piece of mind when I'm riding.

i just went out to run a ground wire to a known good ground on the bike. ran it from the sensor to ground and it made no difference in the way the gauge worked. it still went up to the 260 degree mark and stayed there until i turned the ignition off. i hate to have to get a new gauge if this one is defective' but it is what it is!

i googled harley davidson oil temp gauge instructions and the site came right up. they are the exact instructions that came with the kit

i just went out to run a ground wire to a known good ground on the bike. ran it from the sensor to ground and it made no difference in the way the gauge worked. it still went up to the 260 degree mark and stayed there until i turned the ignition off. i hate to have to get a new gauge if this one is defective' but it is what it is!

I would try disconnecting the wires from the sending unit at the gauge and power it up. See if the gauge reads anything. If it does than you know it is the gauge, if it reads nothing it could still be the gauge but can also be the sending unit. Just trying to narrow down the problem.

Back