free website stats program Oil spraying disaster | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil spraying disaster

frostbyte

I am posting this question for a buddy who is still a computer newb .. I am gonna get him signed up soon so he can post... But in the mean time can ayone assist him with his problem...
he's got a 94 Roadking...
heads were just replaced with screaming eagle heads as well as cam shaft.. pistons and rings replaced he cleaned up cyclinders just a bit over nothing major.. he ended up repacing factory rocker covers due to the constant leakage and went with the 1 piece after market setup... they fixed the oil leak problem from that location...so here is his problem...he is getting oil and condensation leaking at a excessive rate from the rocker box vent lines which he has going to a external breather setup.. we tried loaction the breather setup above the rocker covers as well as below..
What could be creating the excessive pressures on the rocker cover lines to cause all the mess at the breather one would think there should not be any postive pressures in the rocker box.. any theroies or suggestion would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers.........Frostbyte

error he replaced factory rocker covers with a "2" piece after market kit not a 1 piece...

The excess pressure could come from a few things. First the rings may not be seated or even staggered when they were installed which would cause the pressure. Were the cylinders honed properly to seat the rings? Did he break in the engine properly? How many miles since rebuilding it?
Umbrella valves in the heads could be causing excess oil to blow out also.
How's the oil level, if it's over full you will get some blowing out the breathers also.

the cyclinders were honed properly at quailfied machine shop and motor was assembled properly including rings... he is still breakin it in... probably less than 500 miles on rebuild...

not sure about type of valves I will find out

could this be a possible therory...
Is it possible that the oil pump is tired and is not pulling the oil back fast enough from the scavenging side ( timing compartment ) and sending it back to the oil pan ( reservoir ) If there is oil in the timing compartment when the breather gear opens with all the pressure from the crank case could it not send it up into the rocker boxes via the push rod tubes creating excess oil in the top end , and after the motor is shut off could it not bleed out of the breather ?
anyones thoughts on this???

I have seen where the umbrella valves were installed incorrectly. My guess would also be the umbrella valves.

could this be a possible therory...
Is it possible that the oil pump is tired and is not pulling the oil back fast enough from the scavenging side ( timing compartment ) and sending it back to the oil pan ( reservoir ) If there is oil in the timing compartment when the breather gear opens with all the pressure from the crank case could it not send it up into the rocker boxes via the push rod tubes creating excess oil in the top end , and after the motor is shut off could it not bleed out of the breather ?

This condition is called ''Oil Carry Over'' and your correct in your theory. The oil pump is designed to pump out 50% more oil that it can pump in but any restriction in the return line, like oil coolers, crimped or tight bends, dirty oil filter, a ten micron filter in an EVO, all slows down the return oil going back to the tank. Now the oil is building up in the cam chest and with every down stroke of the piston we build crank case pressures and like Glider said if the rings didn't seat correctly the crank case pressure will be greater (and I must say if your partner is still breaking the rings in at 500 miles they never seated properly I guarantee it) When that breather opens up all that pressure along with the oil building up in the cam chest makes it's way up to the rocker boxes and out the breather as Oil Carry Over. If you run a bike at 75 to 80 mph for 45 min to 1 hour and oil starts to cover your bike on the right side your are experiencing Oil Carry Over. We all get a certain amount of this happening in our bikes but until we install a SE air filter kit it was out of sight out of mind....the SE A/C lets the oil be seen.

The rocker box covers are made by Ultima and they have a reed valve not an umbrella . I installed mine with the valve on the high side of the motor or closest to the intake manifold . It appears that they could be put on the low side as well ,
is that what incorrectly installed means ??

Here is where my friend is at now ....... he dumped the oil and removed the oil filter ,with the oil filter off and the spark plugs removed I turned the engine over in intervals to evacuate the oil out of the motor, I stuffed a funnel by the flange where the filter goes and had the end in a measuring cup . I retrieved 7 oz this way . I then filled a new oil filter with oil and installed it , I removed the rubber return oil line from the oil filter to the oil pan and added an extension to it and had it routed to the side into a cat litter pan so I could see what was going on . I started the bike and revved it some where around 2000 rpm .... the oil was very milky and foamy looking as you can see in the pix . I stuck my thumb over the line and it took a little bit to build pressure to the point where I couldn't hold it back,,, i thought it would pump harder than that ... normal or not I'm not sure yet as I've no bench mark . I also just did a compression test and both cylinders were 135 lbs ,, i'm thinking the rings might be sealed ok...
here are oil pics.

IMG_1419.jpg

and this one

IMG_1420.jpg

WOW !!!

If this weren't a harley, I says you got moisture in there.
If you look at the pictures it almost looks like 2 seperate fluids in that pail.

Did you check the other fluids for x contamination ??

I once overfilled the oil and it introduced lots of air bubbles but those bubbles were throughout all 4 litres. This is different. You have this milky stuff pouring into a pail , that is seperating into a clear and milky solution.

Looks like a very expensive milkshake.

Back