free website stats program Oil Pump Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pump Problems

Thank you, that was what I was thinking I should do.

Is it possible to have an air vapor lock to keep the oil from flowing?

Have never seen it, tho older models check ball will stick open flooding the crank case with oil

You are correct, the ball will become stuck and cause the flooding. I will be rebuilding the bike tomorrow and will start up to see if the flow begins, plus I bought the oil pressure gauge to read the pressure at run speed.If this fails and depending on pump pressure 13/30 psi where would I go from here, IF PUMP PRESSURE IS LOW POSSIBLE NEW OIL PUMP,if pressure is good ?

You are correct, the ball will become stuck and cause the flooding. I will be rebuilding the bike tomorrow and will start up to see if the flow begins, plus I bought the oil pressure gauge to read the pressure at run speed.If this fails and depending on pump pressure 13/30 psi where would I go from here, IF PUMP PRESSURE IS LOW POSSIBLE NEW OIL PUMP,if pressure is good ?

Or rebuild the one you have:s

This is reason to use assembly lube. Prevents dry fire friction.

I like to pack the oil pumps with Lubri plate and crank the newly built pumps over with the plugs out and grounded til the oil filter fills with oil:s

Thank you, that was what I was thinking I should do.

Is it possible to have an air vapor lock to keep the oil from flowing?

Not probable on a softail ...

When you assembled the motor Did you use a good assembly lube to cover the dry parts?

I usually pour as much oil into the motor as possible to insure it will have oil.. I ALSO pull plugs and kick over using short starter burst then PLUGS in and fire it..

WORRY about What IFs NOW, will Not get it to run any better... Fire it up and all should be Normal.. Yes IT Might take a few turns running until the oil reaches 20/30 psi But nothing short of Hand Oiling with a Turkey Baster will help here...:newsmile011:

You have a good Natural FLOW of oil from the High oil tank as it is ABOVE the engine and oil pump... Use the Proper fill of oil for the bike.

MY twincam won't get over 20 psi turning over with plugs out and starter Kicking it over... BUT with plugs IN and started IT Smacks 40/50 Lbs Right Now with cold oil...

signed....BUBBIE

Back