free website stats program Oil Pump Locked Up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pump Locked Up

We own a auto repair shop, never taken apart a H-D engine but I can say that if an engine has metal fragments in it and big enough to see them it will have that same pieces but more in a flake form in hidden areas and those will make there way to the bearings.
I think your repair is only temp anf you should be saving for a.rebuild or replacement.

My thoughts exactly, doing it the hillbilly way will only cost more in the long run.

If the motor is up and running again, change oil and filter after the first 100 miles or so. Go online to the Blackstone website and order a sampling kit; they are free. Collect an oil sample and send it in to Blackstone for testing. The results will confirm whether or not the OPs shade tree repair is temporary or not.

We had a 2010 Silverado 5.3 in recently that lost oil pressure.
Customer was told by the dealer to replace the oil pump.
I told him that it wouldn't work, that we did that on another 5.3 and still had no oil pressure.
He towed it from Seattle to us in Spokane.
When I removed the oil pan the was debris like the OP stated, and the customer took some oil to have it analyzed, it came back acceptable even with aluminium floating in the oil.
After removing the splash shield we could see that the thrust bearing journal was overheated and packed with bearing material.
Long story but I think that a oil analysis is right up there with a carfax.

When I removed the oil pan the was debris like the OP stated, and the customer took some oil to have it analyzed, it came back acceptable even with aluminium floating in the oil. After removing the splash shield we could see that the thrust bearing journal was overheated and packed with bearing material. Long story but I think that a oil analysis is right up there with a carfax.

Just because the oil analysis came back acceptable does not relieve the mechanic from checking the source of the problem and making any necessary repairs. The oil analysis was probably correct; absent any mechanical issues the motor would most likely have run fine. Apparently, the content of the aluminum in the oil was within acceptable limits. Most motor oil will have some aluminum traveling in the oil. I consider an oil analysis a useful tool in evaluating the condition of a motor and life expectancy but understand that it is an oil analysis, not a silver bullet.;)

Back