free website stats program Oil Pump Locked Up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pump Locked Up

With serious valve to piston contact the crank could have easily been tweaked. Since the oil pump drive gear is driven by the pinion shaft, this would explain the oil pump failure and lockup.

That would make sense since the piston is connected to the crank. Would I have to buy a new flywheel? How do I know the flywheel is out of balance? The reason I ask is because I can't see any noticeable rotation in the pinion shaft when it turns. By my naked eye it appears to be spinning in the way it should.

I am a TC guy and not that familiar with the "how to" check crank run out on a Sporty but I am sure there is a way to mount a dial indicator to read the pinion shaft run out. I have attached a photo of how to check pinion run out on a TC motor if that helps.

Attachments

• runoutchecksetup.JPG
    runoutchecksetup.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 7
You can't split the cases in the frame. Easy way to do it is to remove top end off the cases. This eliminates some weight & more room to pull the motor. You may want to do that anyway to check your run out on the pinion shaft. Much easier to rotate the pistons/rods than trying to place in gear & rotating rear tire.
tourbox

Thanks. I'm pretty sure most of the problem is with the oil. I can see heavy metal chunks that were probably left over from the piston/valve collision. It was something I was afraid of from the beginning but hoped it wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try cleaning out the crankcase and installying a new oil pump.

You’ve been given some good solid advice to split the case and clean it out. Doing it your way you may want to purchase a case of pumps because you’re going to need them.

You’ve been given some good solid advice to split the case and clean it out. Doing it your way you may want to purchase a case of pumps because you’re going to need them.

It seems like that might be the thing to do but I really disn't want to split the case open since it involves things that I am not familiar with. I think I have to remove the engine in order to split it then I just clean it out of any debris. Yuck!

How do I know if the flywheel has been damaged?

As stated before, you do have to pull the motor from frame to split the cases. It will take about $400-$500 in tools for the tranny prep to split the cases and put them back together. I did some research for a friend with an '04 XL for a defective bearing on the the main drive gear. It had ruined the bearing and his cases. I took his top end & removed the motor for him. He took it to HD for the case splitting & repair. He had to get new cases. When returned to me I put the motor back in & the top end. Then got it running again.
You may be able to pull the motor out w/o the top end & then flush the crank case out, maybe even turn it upside down? As far as the damage to the lower rod bearings, pinion bearing, & motor sprocket bearings goes it would be a hit or miss. You can't rebuild the the flywheels due to being pressed together. You would have to send them off to get that done.
tourbox

Thank you for the advice but I did something that seemed to work. I got a wet/dry vac and sucked whatever garbage was at the bottom of them. I sucked up quite a lot and I managed to get it back together without jamming up the oil pump.

The whole thing just seemed like a simple problem which was to get the bad oil and debris out. On a car, I would just take off the oil pan at the bottom of the engine but since that option wasn't available I decided to vacuum out the stuff directly out of the engine. I seemed to get a lot out and I double checked everything before reassembling.

We own a auto repair shop, never taken apart a H-D engine but I can say that if an engine has metal fragments in it and big enough to see them it will have that same pieces but more in a flake form in hidden areas and those will make there way to the bearings.
I think your repair is only temp anf you should be saving for a.rebuild or replacement.

Back