free website stats program Oil Dipstick Popping Off!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Dipstick Popping Off!!

Oil level was actually down of course, due to the loss during the ride (checked it with the dipstick from my Road King). In regards to "hearing it pop"... between the true dual Rinehart's and the stereo going, I wouldn't hear a gun if it went off!! :)

I tend to believe that your oil level is too high, usually the simplest things are wrong, especially if the oil was changed. I know to mentioned you checked the level with a dipstick from your other bike. Are they the same length and engine.

Had the same problem when I changed my oil last time around and found the root cause was too much oil.

The one time it happened to me, it was a condition described by Breeze3at. I had changed the oil the day before, stuck it before I rode, saw that it was a bit overfilled and figured that I'd tend to it when I got the chance. Midway through the ride, I pulled out onto a highway, gave it some throttle and "pop" out it came. The smoke that rolled out behind me as the oil hit the exhaust pipes was only a prelude to the amount of time I spent cleaning the bike. Needless to say, I never overfilled again.

I did an oil change at the beginning of the season this year and forgot to warm the motor first. Filled the tank to the full mark, went for a quick ride and of course had oil all over the bike and my leg. Spent an hour looking for the dipstick, it was in the mirror. I had overfilled the tank. I'll not make that mistake a second time. In my case, that's all it was. Was your bike warm when you checked the oil?

I have this problem with my rk police '01. lost it on a ride and had to do an emergency stop. I have a baker +1 on the bike and can't run it full level. I've had the umbrella seals replaced with aftermarket and it helped somewhat. currently have the plug with a safety wire and a spare plug and safety wire in the tour pak I added.

Update: Back to dealer for third time. What they said is that the gasket came in "backwards" from the factory, thus the holes were incorrectly lined up for the breather ports. Nothing about maybe just installing them wrong? Needless to say, all done and I've put 1000+ on the bike since. :)

Update: Back to dealer for third time. What they said is that the gasket came in "backwards" from the factory, thus the holes were incorrectly lined up for the breather ports. Nothing about maybe just installing them wrong? Needless to say, all done and I've put 1000+ on the bike since. :)

Glad the third time was a charm and they really got you taken care of. I bet if your bike was backed onto the lift the gasket would have ended up installed correctly.....:s

HMMMMM, apples to apples, that is why I like to match up parts before installing them, 1 oil or air bleed hole wrong can ruin your day. The gasket came in backwards from the factory, that is a new 1 on me must have had a bad run of gaskets on a Monday or a Friday. Good you got it fixed

Backwards.....pretty sure gaskets are stamped. I've never seen a hard tool change direction.

Glad they made it good for you, a little honesty after putting you through all that would be nice.

1st post.

My riding buddy has an '04 RK Custom, his dipstick plug is popping out also. He went to HD and bought a nice digital unit and it pops out as well. His bike is extremely well taken care of and has only 20k miles on it. Never been taken apart.

Back