free website stats program Oil Cooler | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler

It surely can't hurt to install one. Once you're sitting still, after a certain point it will render itself useless without any air flow. At best, your oil will be a little cooler (from riding) when you do stop, and take a extra minute or two to get up to where it would have been, if you didn't have one. I can see where a cooler will buy you a minute or two while stopped, only because the oil will be a little cooler from the airflow right before you stopped. Other than that they really don't do much but lower your oil pressure.

Explain this

Al

I agree with eleft and while you're at it please explain the principle of convection or radiation as applied to the radiators found in some homes.

We need to rethink what causes the heat felt radiating from under the fuel tank.

The combustion chamber temperature gets up to near 500 degrees fahrenheit.
At 3000 RPM each cylinder is producing 1500 events at around 350 degrees F
in the combustion chamber (the head) the part of the engine closest to the rider.

After a 25+ mile ride on a 60 degree day my cylinder head temperature (next to the spark plug) is 329 degrees F . Did it feel hot at 35 MPH, no. At a stop without a breeze, I expect to feel the heat rising from the hot mass under me.

In my opinion no gimmick or group of gimmicks claiming to make this cooler to the feel of human skin is folly.

The oil temperature runs around 200 to 230. The oil cooler is just what it says "oil cooler" not radiator.

AL

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

I'll probably put one on my new 08 FLHTC (had one on my 07 FLSTC), but I think I'll spend some time and watch the oil temp *first*.

After the rebuild (don't ask!) I have the new HD oil temp gauge installed in the fairing. The sender installs in one of the plugs in the oil pan (the other is the drain plug) instead of in the oil line.

Took the bike out yesterday and set the rings (had 75 miles on it - still brand new-ish). Before I started the procedure, I let the bike warm up for quite a while - oil temp never got much above 200, but it was only about 60 degrees outside.

After setting the rings, the oil temp gauge still was about 200 (bike has about 120 miles on it now).

Just finished installing the HD heat deflectors (the ones that go under the seat). With the deflectors, EITMS, and the oil temp gauge, I think I'll just watch and see what happens.

If I *do* need a cooler, I'll have some empirical data to prove it.

burt,

I'm in favor of the oil cooler, I have one on my bike.

That said, I don't expect it to cool my combustion temperature.

Another statistic to note, water over 120 degrees will scald human skin.
Pipes and heads are 3 times that.

Al

Another thing to consider is that in an internal combustion engine the oil at the crank bearings is 4x the temp. as the oil at the sensor due to the fact that it breaks down into molecules and can't cool until it meets with another cooler molecule,so anything you can do to cool it externally will help your engines life:s

Another thing to consider is that in an internal combustion engine the oil at the crank bearings is 4x the temp. as the oil at the sensor due to the fact that it breaks down into molecules and can't cool until it meets with another cooler molecule,so anything you can do to cool it externally will help your engines life:s

If you mount your cooler behind a wide fender or where airflow is somewhat blocked, you won't get as much "cooling" as you think.

That's why you need a turbulator more than a cooler -- and why the primary job of coolers is to turbulate the oil anyhow.

At this point, my main problem on the Heritage was that I was baking my legs (and other parts) on the ride. I want to see how the deflectors work and get a good reading on the oil temp gauge, and then I'll decide what to do. (I'll probably put the cooler on anyhow).

At this point, my main problem on the Heritage was that I was baking my legs (and other parts) on the ride. I want to see how the deflectors work and get a good reading on the oil temp gauge, and then I'll decide what to do. (I'll probably put the cooler on anyhow).

I have the oil temp gauge conversion, an oil cooler and air deflectors on my '07 Ultra. My oil temp rarely indicates over 200° except on a really hot day or if I an in frustratingly slow stop & go traffic. I was skeptical about the deflectors but they seem to do the trick, especially at speed. It still helps to keep your knees spread away from the tank a little. It still will fry the thigh at a really long stop light though. Maybe someday when I put some Rinehart true duals, a K&N and a race tuner on to richen it up a little, the problem will become less. (That'll come when either I win the Lotto or my wife leaves me.) I just keep telling myself (over the sizzling fat cells) that it's a 96" V-twin and the seat position is further forward on the Ultra than either the 96" Super Glide Custom or the old 80" Super Glide FXE so it's gonna be hot.

It still helps to keep your knees spread away from the tank a little. It still will fry the thigh at a really long stop light though.

The 08 FLHTC has the EITMS software, so the rear cylinder will stop firing in "parade mode" or slow traffic, whenever the bike is stopped and it's running hot.

I live in NH, I just bought the bike in January, and we haven't seen 60 degrees yet this year!!!!

Thanks for all your input. What I have learned is that most think an oil cooler is a good idea but some think it is not necessary, but no one thought it would hurt to add one. Also HD has a fairly good one that is easy to install. A good point is that it is just a oil cooler and really doesn't do much to cool the engine...after all it is only 4 quarts compared to the mass of the motor also the bike must be moving to be effective.
I'm wondering if it was really necessary why doesn't HD put one on? Also someone said that there would be a loss of oil pressure...is that true...I have heard HD doesn't have high oil pressure to start with.

I also have learned that the oil you use is probably the most important component to control heat and add engine longetivty.

I think I'll put one on but I won't expect it to change any noticeable engine temperature.

Thanks

Back