free website stats program Oil cooler in Canada | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler in Canada

I have the HD oil cooler with the thermostat. Like the previous posts have mentioned, the thermostat opens at about 180 degrees. According to the literature that came with the unit, this allows the motor to reach operating temps. IMO I doubt that the surface area of the cooler would be great enough to prevent a motor from reaching operating temps. It might take a few minutes longer, but the motor would eventually get there. Living in NJ, we don't see the temps reached in other areas of this great country. Does the unit work? Yes. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but I can tell you on hot days the bike does run cooler.

I live on the west coast of Canada and wouldn't bother with a cooler if all my riding was local.

In my case, I like to travel down south.

When the Electraglide is fully loaded and we are riding two up across Nevada in 115 degree heat of the summer, I am pretty happy I added the cooler.

I went with the Harley model cooler with built in thermostat. If it is cool outside, the cooler doesn't open up until needed so cold weather riding is not an issue.

As already posted, you probably don't need to install a cooler but as a former professional mechanic, anything that can help cool these big air pumps is a good thing.

If you only plan on keeping your motorcycle for the short term, don't worry about it. The long term benefits however will be less stress on the engine and more miles before needing an overhaul.

Even a reduction of 15 degrees is pretty significant at the higher end of the temp. spectrum.

I have an 07 Road King Police model w/103 and an oil cooler. I recently (Christmas present from my wife) got a digital thermometer oil dipstick. I was completely surprised at how long it takes to get up to operating temps. This has been an extremely cold winter for Greensboro and I've taken some decent 45 min to 1 hr rides and have only seen the temp go over 180 twice. (181 & 202). This concerns me for the long term...I don't plan on getting rid of this bike till it gives up the ghost. I run H-D synthetic oil so I know it's getting circulated, but I'm concerned that it's not getting hot enough long enough, to burn off condensation internally. I ride every day that it's not "raining, snowing or black ice when I leave in the morning." I was told by the dealership parts dudes that I cold put a cover over the oil cooler, but I didn't know they came with a thermostat, so it's prob not necessary. Tracy

I put a Harley unit in my ride because the dipstick temps were up to 280-290 degrees on hot days. Yes it gets hot in Canada also, temps were over 100 degrees F this summer. With the cooler on I've never seen oil temps above 230. I rode till the end of November this year in freezing temps and the oil temps still showed around 200F. I can feel the oil cooler and it stays cold till 180-190 so the built in thermostat must work. Just what I've found on my ride.

Convection cooling may be reduced when cooler is not having air rushing past, BUT coolers like Jagg have small internal spiral fins lining the tubes, which causes turbulance...churning the oil so more of it contacts the additional cooling surface area so conduction heat transfer continues. :s

Remember the oil inside may be 220*F or more but the outside ambient air is still 100* to 125*F ...still plenty of heat difference so cooling is still working. Bottom line, cooler oil will distribute the heat and minimize the hot spots even with bike stopped...as your oil pump and the oil circulation system is still functioning just fine. Rest easy and fit the oil cooler if you want. it can't hurt, and there are always hot days in traffic even in Canada. :D

Last edited:
I also live on the West Coast of Canada and I installed the HD cooler on my /09 Ultra. Why?..because most of my touring is done in the US (Arizona, Utah, Nevada, etc.) It may not be an abosolute neccesity, but when you're two up, pulling a camper trailer and it's 90F + outside, it's peace of mind knowing that it's there. Also, it doesn't hurt anything and I plan on keeping my Ultra for a very long time. That's why I also run full synthetic in the engine and transmission.

I also live on the West Coast of Canada and I installed the HD cooler on my /09 Ultra. Why?..because most of my touring is done in the US (Arizona, Utah, Nevada, etc.) It may not be an abosolute neccesity, but when you're two up, pulling a camper trailer and it's 90F + outside, it's peace of mind knowing that it's there. Also, it doesn't hurt anything and I plan on keeping my Ultra for a very long time. That's why I also run full synthetic in the engine and transmission.
Subby, I was surprised to see another forum member from Victoria.. Did you park your bike or you ride all year?

It's Canada, you dont need an oil cooler.

Florida yes, Spain yes, Middle East yes.
Well i dunno. I live in Canada and on the plains (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta, and the badlands around Drumheller AB) we can hit a 102 in the summer? Believe it or not every house I had while living in Saskatchewan had air conditioning. Anyone who has been to Sturgis know how hot it gets there. Saskatchewan is only 7 hours north. Believe me it gets plenty hot. Not every day and not all summer long but HOT!! :newsmile078:

Well i dunno. I live in Canada and on the plains (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta, and the badlands around Drumheller AB) we can hit a 102 in the summer? Believe it or not every house I had while living in Saskatchewan had air conditioning. Anyone who has been to Sturgis know how hot it gets there. Saskatchewan is only 7 hours north. Believe me it gets plenty hot. Not every day and not all summer long but HOT!! :newsmile078:

15 years riding in Southern Ontario, Quebec, and B.C., and yes it gets hot in Sturgis.. it can get hot in Laconia too, with all the traffic jams. :)

The OP mentioned he wanted a cooler.. no problem, as Smitty said it won't hurt.

I and others just pointed out that he may not need one,
but since most come with a thermostat, that should solve his concerns about
cold weather issues.

I rode 3 years in Spain with no cooler, and it gets real hot down there..
every day and all summer long.

Back