free website stats program oil cooler help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler help

yea its the sensor itself, not off by much, just cant get it straight enough to get threads to start thought about removing sensor, then installing filter, but you shouldnt have to remove sensor for oil change

Just a thought here, the nipple that the filter screws on to, is it installed properly or is it possibly reversed causing the longer portion to cause the problem with the filter fitting on the nipple?

to all this is the same problem i had with mine the hyd cooler adpter makes removing the filter scary i have a post earlyer about this goi to jegs and get there off set adp then if you dont have the factory filter adp for with out cooler you will need to go to dealership to get that . all your filter change prpblmes will go away

I ran into the same problem with the HD oil cooler and filter. I had to remove the crank sensor to install the filter. Naturally, I thought I'd done something wrong and contacted HD. A gal I spoke to there assured me that I hadn't done anything wrong, and yes, each time you change the filter you have to remove the crank sensor. This last oil change, however, I bought a Drag Specialties filter from J&P that was the 10 micron unit for the twin cam 88. It has the "nut" on the end so you can use a socket to remove it. My mind being what it is, I didn't give removing the crank sensor a thought. That is until I realized that I was able to remove the old filter (also a Drag Spec) and install the new without messing with the sensor. Didn't bother measuring the filter, but it did go on and off without a problem. Mind you, it's not a lot of space we're talking about. A silly 1/4" is all that's was needed with the old filter and I'm guessing that enough people complained causing a fix. Hope this helps..

I installed the primium HD oil cooler on my 05 RG and did not run into this problem. I just went down and looked at the CPS and it appears to be shorter (the part that sticks out from the block) than the one pictured. Does anyone know if the CPS was redesigned after '02, and if it was can the new designed sensor be used on the pre '05 motor? If it can it would save having to remove the sensor to replace the filter. I also modified my filter wrench with a cut out like the one in the JP Cycles cat.

yea its the sensor itself, not off by much, just cant get it straight enough to get threads to start thought about removing sensor, then installing filter, but you shouldnt have to remove sensor for oil change
Another quick question........are you using an oil filter wrench to try and start the filter or trying to start the filter by hand?

contacted HD shop today, told me that if i couldnt get it installed myself, bring it in and have service dept install, not gonna pay 200.00 to have them remove sensor and install filter. if i have to remove sensor everytime i change oil i guess thats what i have to do, kind of a messed up design

That's just wrong! I put the same system on my 07 and it worked fine. It was a little tight, but I could get the filter on. I wonder.......if ya turn the CPS a little more down, if that would help. It looks like, from your picture that the wire attachment is pointed at you filter. On my bike it was pointed down toward the ground.

I'll give it a shot, maybe i can turn it a bit, thanks for your help. I was so frustrated last night i gave up on it, just got home from work, took a quick dip, now ready to go to barn and get bike back on the road. again, thanks for your input

Back