free website stats program oil cooler fan or engine fan? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler fan or engine fan?

The service tech explained the prerequisites to have the heat management system come on and how/what would reset the system. He told me to try it for a while and if it was annoying he would give me one free "shut off", since the system should have been enabled. I will give it a whirl. I am intersted to see when the system kicks in vs. my perception of how hot the motor is.:D

The service tech explained the prerequisites to have the heat management system come on and how/what would reset the system. He told me to try it for a while and if it was annoying he would give me one free "shut off", since the system should have been enabled. I will give it a whirl. I am intersted to see when the system kicks in vs. my perception of how hot the motor is.:D

Is it Right that the 07 models have to be turned On and Off parade Mode by the shop???

I know on my 09 FLHR that I can turn it off and on by turning AWAY the throttle to a position and Hold it for a few seconds then the light changes and it is on or off.
It may be, On the newer bikes, that the HD system changed to allow the rider to do the change when needed...

I do remember years back looking at a new model and it being explained about the parade mode..

Wonder what year that First came out..?? I know Look up in SEARCH...

signed....BUBBIE

I posted test data on an HDT thread, done by a fella on another forum awhile back for the Lenale fan and the results were pretty impressive as far keeping his bike out of heat mode. Forgot where the thread was though.

I have a question,
Hoople I suspect the EITMS you are referring to is the heat mode where the rear cylinder stops firing and just pumps air. The other change idle speed (mixture) that the bike also can do, that Smitty educated me on awhile back is simply always there by default if I remember correctly (if you leave the throttle alone). After Smitty explained what that one sounds like, I have had my bike do that a couple of times last summer.

I guess I need to call my Dealer and ask him how much cost to make sure the EITMS is turned on. I can't imagine why I would ever want it off where I live.

I have both the Lenale fan and the H.D. oil cooler. I figure it will pay for itself in longer engine life span. Could be wrong, but to me it worth the money. But I agree with Smitty in that the current design of HD engines if I had to choose between an oil cooler or a fan, I would go with the fan.

I know what I do, if I ain't moving after 3 mins, I turn my bike off and just sit there watching the lite. If I am crawling along barely moving for an extended amount of time I may just pull over and turn it off there too. Never had to decide on that. And even though water cooled bikes tend to run cooler, if they ain't moving (and the don't have a radiator fan) then they can overheat too.

Hoople I suspect the EITMS you are referring to is the heat mode where the rear cylinder stops firing and just pumps air.

Yes, it stops firing.

My Dyna firmware does not have stages. All at once, rear cylinder stops and engine runs rich.

I would have liked to look at your Lenale Fan when you were in Daytona. That write up was a Great read. No doubt it does work. I wanted to purchase one and contacted Lenale about how long warranty was because I heard of several having bearing problems in under 1 year of use.

Yes, it stops firing.

My Dyna firmware does not have stages. All at once, rear cylinder stops and engine runs rich.

I would have liked to look at your Lenale Fan when you were in Daytona. That write up was a Great read. No doubt it does work. I wanted to purchase one and contacted Lenale about how long warranty was because I heard of several having bearing problems in under 1 year of use.

I will let everyone know if mine ever quits. I use it every single time I'm out. I had heard so many bad stories from Indy's, on the HD fan breaking that I chose to go with the Lenale.

My first lenale fan burnt up I mean it caught fire.
Was late 07. The replacement they sent me has had no problems. I removed it from my 07 when I traded it and it is going on the bike.

Smitty, I don't know if you got a chance to see the report R_W_B is referring to, but it was very impressive. The cylinder temp sensor was monitored by a laptop. The bike was left at idle until heat management kicked in. The the fan was then turned on and it was able to drop the cylinder temp by about 50 degrees which actually turned off the heat management software. That is very impressive and would get you out of most jams I could think of.

The only thing holding me back from buying one is the very weak warranty that comes with the unit. A thirty day warranty is not very much. After 30 days=> to 1year, only labor is covered. Any parts and postage is on your dime.

But the thing that is important is the concept does work and they can move a bunch of air using under 4 amps of current along with the fan not being physically large like the HD brand.
Maybe all the bearing failures I hear of are exaggerated.(?)

YES on 07's it had to be done by the dealer your were offer the chance to try it and if you wanted it turned off they would do it one time for free

This dealer said that you HD gave you the option of turning the system off and on yourself when the throttle controls went to "throttle by wire".

I still have a throttle cable. I believe that 2008 had the move to "throttle by wire". I know that the 2009 had it for sure because I tried it out on a rental in San Diego.

Fans are certainly good and will help but if you get the AFR's correct, you won't necessarily need a fan to help cool your motor unless your riding in outside temperatures over 105 degrees,

Really depends on what you mean by the word "necessarily"...and on which engine.

As it applies to the "96",, Yes a fat A/F ratio does help, but it's not enough for a bike sitting still in traffic. You would not want a richer A/F than I have at idle, and my engine will still go into heat management mode at the drop of a hat when standing still. Even when the ECM toggles to heat mode, the cylinder temp will still climb. Yes it climbs slower, but it still will climb upward. What the ceiling temperature is I don't know, but according to Revolution Performance, you really don't want to go above 325*F. And knowing that the ECM will toggle to heat mode at about 310*, sure does not leave you a lot of headroom. Moving air past the cylinder fins is the only answer in my opinion.

I want to be clear on one important fact. Heat is not an issue if your moving. Stuck in stop and go traffic or even at one of those long 5 minute red lights, and it's too much for my bike or any late model "96" in my opinion. I am not saying that the engine is going to seize in front of your eyes, just saying it takes a toll on some of the top end parts.

Back