free website stats program Oil consumption | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil consumption

I think Walley tells it like it is. If you were burning quarts then you have a problem. I do differ with the guru's here whom I hold in the highest respect. The Evolution and Twin Cams piston rings do not break in. The cylinders when cold are barrel shaped though you can't see it. When they get hot they become an even shape. Breaking in rings is acually putting wear on the rings. They do not wear in. For the life of the engine they can move around and keep the oil from the top of the cylinder. If you do burn oil then look for a leak that is blown away while riding. The valve guides have seals and they can become old and crack. Take a compression and leak down check and see that both cylinders are the same. Fossil
Dont break in?

My bike uses no oil between oil changes, 35K on bike, I have not checked after rebuild with my mods, did the 500 mile break-in, changed oil, and then another 2500 and changed oil, but none of my other bikes used oil between oil changes except my 1996 EG, but I know that bike was beat on pretty good and was starting to show signs that it needed rings.

all engines use oil - it depends on how much - a small film of oil has to pass the oil control rings to lube the upper rings , so a few ounces per 3000 miles is good.
1> 2 quart and you are having problems .
in a v8 engine with 5 quarts , if it used 1 drop per revolution it would be out of oil in ~7 minutes at 1000 rpm.
this is just so you know how little an engine uses when you use a quart every 3000 miles

Back