free website stats program oil change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change

I agree with Smitty and Bubbie, doing the complete oil change isn't necessary. I change my oil at 3000 miles and do the complete oil change just because it gives me the warm and fuzzys. I may THINK I'm doing good for my ride but it probably does more good for me.

Of all the bikes I have owned I have never had a major problem changing oil at regular intervals:s

I agree with Smitty and Bubbie, doing the complete oil change isn't necessary. I change my oil at 3000 miles and do the complete oil change just because it gives me the warm and fuzzys. I may THINK I'm doing good for my ride but it probably does more good for me.

I'll throw my hat in there too. To me it's kinda like worrying about the the few drops of regular gas I'll get at the pump with only one nozzle. Just change your oil when you are supposed to, use good syn oil and a Harley oil filter and ride.

Not sure how the oil line routing of various TC's are, but here's a simple trick for EVO's that I use every other oil/filter change or so:

1. Drain out oil tank, and refill with fresh oil.
2. Remove oil filter, place an oil drain tray under (filter is under the tranny on mine)
3. Start the engine
4. Let it pump oil out of the filter housing until fresh oil is coming out.
5. New pre-filled filter in, then refill oil tank
That's it for a complete oil change

A couple of notes, though:
1. The EVO has the filter on the RETURN side - TC?
2. I watch the oil tank level carefully while engine is running

Had my 1st service done at the dealer. I'm sure they just poured in 4 qts. without checking the level. It was over the hot full mark, when cold. I removed over 1/2 qt. I'll do my own from now on.

there's probably no other way the dealer could do an oil change without putting 4qts of oil in when you think about it. I'd think they don't have the luxury of time to put 3 1/2qt in and warm it up, check it, top it off with a little more if needed. 4qts and they know it won't go out low on oil. Get 'em in get 'em out. Some things best to do yourself if you can.

I always seem to ask about opinionated topic..lol..I just bought first Harley so when I heard the debate about it,I had to ask on this forum.I have ask oil related ? before and someone posted that just changing the oil when you should is the key whatever oil and way of doing it.

Regular oil change is fine, 1/2 quart of used oil in the bike while significant is not the end of the world...no reason to panic. :panic

If you use good 100% Syn and HD oil filter and change at prescribed intervals the life of the engine will not be impacted significantly. There are more abusive things done to the bike that impact life more. Frequent start and stops, high temperature in traffic operation, short trips, low battery charge operation the list goes on:newsmile042:so in the latter case use the rough service schedule and you should be still good to go.

Just ride and enjoy...and do diligent service that you feel comfortable with and you will be fine! :D

Back