free website stats program oil change interval | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change interval

I stick to the factory maintenance schedule. I switched to synthetic at 1k svc and not had a problem.

Another no no, yes I change a higher mileage bike over to syn oil.
Nothing happened. <--- by smitty

Smitty, I keep coming back to this -- I really hope I am not digging up worms so to speak - but I have an 01 Heritage I bought with 42K miles. I do not know the bikes oil history, and when asked I was told better remain with dino oils and not to use synthetic. Do you think your case would be the exception to the 'do not use' rule or do you think switching to synthetic oils at 42K miles would not hurt a thing but might be better for the engine?

Just getting one more persons experienced opinions/thoughts.

Bill

Change NOW.

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W90 or 75W140 GL-1 or GL-5 rated gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose wet clutch/chaincase fluid like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary.

I changed mine over on 2/22/07 with 58,108 miles on the clock. I change all three every 3-5k miles just depending on my round TUIT. Now 79,080 on the clock.

TQ

Change NOW.

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W90 or 75W140 GL-1 or GL-5 rated gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose wet clutch/chaincase fluid like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary.

I changed mine over on 2/22/07 with 58,108 miles on the clock. I change all three every 3-5k miles just depending on my round TUIT. Now 79,080 on the clock.

TQ

Asking questions and research is how we learn and gather enough facts to decide whats right of our own ride.
I would have no problem if I bought a used HD with 42K on it switching to SYN.
IMO SYN is better for a big air cooled engine if for no other reason than it stands up to heat better than any other oil

Good Morning TQ and Smitty and thank you both for your responses. I have always wanted to use synthetic (real syn) in my engine, but have been hesitant to do so - now maybe I wont be so reluctant to do so.

Thanks again
Bill

I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil in 50w and 20/50.
If I'm spending serious time on the highways it's 3000 miles. (clean filter at 1k)
If I'm spending time in the city streets it's 1000 miles. (clean filter at 1k)
My mix is two QTs 50w and 1 QT 20/50 all year round.
They never come close to over heating.
Motors run about 10 degrees cooler on VR1 than amsoil.

The previous owner used nothing but dino oil and the magnetic plug had a lot of metalic fuzz on it. I had 145k on my Harley before swithing over to FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil. The last 2 oil changes have had little to none of that fuzz on the magnetic plug. That convinved me to keep using the full synthetic oils.

I change at 3000 to 4000 with 20/50 amsoil and filter the old oil and use it for bar oil in chain saw. Works good 3 oil changes a year and I have plenty of bar oil!!!

Back