free website stats program oil change interval | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change interval

09 deluxe

I put Mobil 1 vtwin in my deluxe, (on the recommendation of many of you), and I was wondering about the oil change intervals with a synthetic. What's a good change interval?

I agree with Glider. If you are doing a lot of stop and go city stuff I would do the 3000 and if you are touring with lots of freeway go for the 5000, and if you don't get the miles change the oil every riding season. I like to store the bike with fresh oil and filter. The idea of the fresh oil is to flush all the contaminates so there are no acids sitting in your engine over the off season and when the new season comes your are ready with fresh oil
Kemo

I change my oil every season even If I don't get my miles in that I would like. With that said, is it still a goo idea to spend the money on a synthetic oil?

Most certainly. Your best information will be a search of syn oils and why you should use them. They handle heat better because the molecules break down at higher temps and they flow better at cold temps
Kemo

There will be less heat because the syn oil has more lubricity. I don't know how much cooler though.
Kemo

Actually going to Synthetic oils is not a big "No-No" as most Multi-grade oils already use Synthetic additives (big surprise?) because it is much easier to have controlled viscosity using "man made" (read chemically engineered to be stable) additives. The other thing is most modern oils are more durable so extending the oil change interval is not as "catastrophic" a deal as in the past. The flip side is, changing oil more often just means you are investing more money, but balancing the effects of using more oil (or wasting it if you will) by changing it more often than necessary. We are using resources at an alarming rate, and we should really look at changing more often when NOT necessary is costing our children their resources as well.

Last edited:
Back