free website stats program Oil Capacity when changing oil in a 02 Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Capacity when changing oil in a 02 Road King

How many of you preload the new oil fliter with oil? I have never ever done this. Do you really think that this is necessary?

Thanks

When I go to place the new filter on the bike, the oil is nowhere to be seen because the filter media has sucked up the new oil.

I think it helps to have as much oil available to the engine.
The filter media will need to be saturated anyway so I might as well get the process started.

I think it's cool to see how the filter will suck up the new oil and it doesn't drip out when placing the filter because the new oil is already in the media.

Just be careful you are using quart containers and not liter bottles.
Liter bottles = 1.056 qts.

Possibly can accidentally add too much.

Very good point, when filling the oil, I generally put in about 4oz into the new spin on oil filter (wet the interior element throughly and gasket before spinning it on). I generally save the last 1/2 quart of oil, run the engine a bit and then only add enough to center between Add/Full marks. Remember some require level measurement on the jiffy stand...most touring bikes straight up OFF the jiffy stand...so check your manual to be sure.

In the case of my Sporty which has smaller capacity, I end up filling to 2.8 quarts (manual says 3 qts) and even then I get a very tiny bit of seepage from cap/vent...so I know it is right.

I have never seen a Liter container for oil in the US.
Been using Spectro oil for years and they have been in 1 liter bottles for years. (Made in the USA.)
Bel-Ray is another brand (Made in the USA.) that comes in 1 liter bottles and I'm sure there are others.
I just looked through the J&P catalog and they list 1 liter bottles for some applications.

1 liter bottles aren't very handy because the mouth is usually too big to just sit in the oil fill hole.

(This is a 5 year old "zombie" thread.)

Back