free website stats program Of Dynas, Maintenance, Jack Stands and Oil Changes . . . | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Of Dynas, Maintenance, Jack Stands and Oil Changes . . .

The Jack looks ok apart from one concern that i have for the dyna although my experience is with evo dyna's
the side stand on my dyna is attached slightly left of centre under the bike and you may find that the cross bar on the jack may foul the side stand or the spring although it may just be clear
there is a set of jack adaptors available from HD for the dyna frames so that the oil tank does not foul on the jack
Twin Cam - Equipped Dyna Model Motorcycle Service Lift Adapter Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Brian

Brian,
This is interesting . . . hmm . . . so the metal brackets that connect the the two pieces that directly contact the bike might be set so that it possibly interferes with the jackstand? So if this crossmember is set low, it probably would be a problem . . .but it if it is at the same level as the load supporting memebers - it might screw them up? I can always return it if it looks like it'll damage the kick stand . . . they have a 30 day no hassle return policy . . .

Thanks for the info!

Mark - Thanks!

I had a Larin stand for years and used it on my FLSTC with no problems. It is not as well made (stable) as some of the higher priced jack stands. I don't have a Dyna but my question is do you feel you have to have the bike in the air to do a service? It's nice to have the bike up a little so you can work on it without sitting or kneeling on the floor, but I find that a low creeper seat works well for changing the fluids. With my FLTRI on the stand it is almost impossible to get at the drain plugs, much less get a catch pan under it. If your budget is tight I would go for the creeper seat and a manual. JMO

I've got both the mechanical and electrical service manuals . . . and there is a 'jack' that is pointed to elsewhere on this site that uses metal pipes, 2x8" wood, bolts and carpet remnants to get the bike high in the air high enough to work on . . . that's my fallback plan if the other jack doesn't work . . or I might just build that that 'jack' right away . . . I'll see how things go. I'll look through through the manual again to find more info on regular maintenace . . I missed it on my last glance . . .

Mark - Thanks!:D

When i first got my dyna i had to fit some 1" blocks of wood in the appropriate place on my jack to raise the bike up a bit to keep the side stand from being fouled by the cross member on the jack although my jack had 2 cross members rather than 1 so as yours will be further to the centre of the bike you may be ok
I eventually bought a new jack that was a wee bit more dyna friendly but the old one is fine on the softail and sportster

Brian

Back