free website stats program Of Dynas, Maintenance, Jack Stands and Oil Changes . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Of Dynas, Maintenance, Jack Stands and Oil Changes . . .

markfsanderson

Here's yet another newbie question from Mark . . . (YANQFM!) Thanks for your patience . . . So, I want to do my own required maintenance on my 2011 FXDC. In about 400 miles, I'll need to have everything ready to make it happen. Here are some questions I have about this . . .

1. Here is a jack stand offered by cycle gear. Anyone have experience with this stand? They have a cyclegear store close by where I live, and so far they've treated me well. Are there any concerns that an FXDC might not fit on this kind of stand? Is it only the Sportster that requires a special fitting to make sure the stand doesn't damage any parts in the undercarriage? I just might build that 20.00 jack stand that is detailed elsewhere . . . I'm on serious budget constraints and purchasing a pitbull or similar jack is out of the question for now . . .
  2. I have searched this site a couple of times trying to find information on what comprises a complete 1000 mile check up. Is there a specific set of things to be checked? Nuts/bolts/tightness/etc? I've looked in my manuals and no luck there either . . .it could be there but I didn't find it. The manual just says 'check important things' or something to that effect . . . I'd like a bit more detail . . . since I'm a new owner, I'd like to make sure that everything is spelled out for me on some kind of check list - if possible. Something like 'check torx #12 screw holding the xxxx for tightness @ 20 in/lbs' . . . does such a list exist?

Any help or direction in these matters would be great . . .

Mark - Thanks!!:newsmile03:

Harley Davidson Community Here Mark, your owners manual covers the maintenance also, you can switch to synthetic oil any time, that bike lift looks like a good deal, use the tie down straps and be careful:s

Oh I forgot, Critical Fasteners are listed in the Service Manual with their Torque Value.

Thanks guys . . . when I searched I just got some stealerships overcharging for maintenance and so on . . . And yes - you all are good at this!!

Mark - Thanks Again!:D

I had a Larin stand for years and used it on my FLSTC with no problems. It is not as well made (stable) as some of the higher priced jack stands. I don't have a Dyna but my question is do you feel you have to have the bike in the air to do a service? It's nice to have the bike up a little so you can work on it without sitting or kneeling on the floor, but I find that a low creeper seat works well for changing the fluids. With my FLTRI on the stand it is almost impossible to get at the drain plugs, much less get a catch pan under it. If your budget is tight I would go for the creeper seat and a manual. JMO

Oh I forgot, Critical Fasteners are listed in the Service Manual with their Torque Value.

Critical Fasteners - they are listed in service manual under 'Critical Fasteners'? I guess I missed that one . . . I'm not sure which are critical or not . . . (moron alert! hahah!) I'll look again for that fastener list . . . :24:

Mark - Thanks again!

The Jack looks ok apart from one concern that i have for the dyna although my experience is with evo dyna's
the side stand on my dyna is attached slightly left of centre under the bike and you may find that the cross bar on the jack may foul the side stand or the spring although it may just be clear
there is a set of jack adaptors available from HD for the dyna frames so that the oil tank does not foul on the jack
Twin Cam - Equipped Dyna Model Motorcycle Service Lift Adapter Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Brian

Back