free website stats program o ring chain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

o ring chain

When I bought my o-ring I think it said lifetime on there some where, which brought out the cynical snort, but it is one of the best things I ever put on. I think back then it was $45 compared to a $17 or $18 standard chain. Over 20 years on there but 10 were in storage and I only adjust it when I need tires. Compare that to making an adjustment at least 3 times a summer.

What do you use for lube on the chain?

I never lube the thing, as long as I wiggle the links and they are loose I figured it was lubed it is supposed to be in there some where. I always hated the mess on the back wheel so I just ride it. The chain has never shown any of the old issues a chain developed like stiff links.
With the old standard chains I used to soak them in a old roasting pan, guess what I used for that ? 30w oil.

I never lube the thing, as long as I wiggle the links and they are loose I figured it was lubed it is supposed to be in there some where. I always hated the mess on the back wheel so I just ride it. The chain has never shown any of the old issues a chain developed like stiff links.
With the old standard chains I used to soak them in a old roasting pan, guess what I used for that ? 30w oil.

I was told you didn't have to oil them from someone else, but then heard here that they are supposed to be, lightly. As I posted earlier, before I broke it down (my xlch) and did a bunch of work to it, I always thought it had a chain oiler and that it was just way out of adjustment, like it was laying it on way too thick. Turns out, no oiler, just a few good leaks. Gotta love the AMF's, right?
I was out on it once with a girlfriend (Denise) that was wearing white shoes. We got to our first stop and she saw her shoes, right one in particular, she was not happy. She did love that bike though. All she ever said when we were on it was "faster". I think she meant the rpm more then the mph, but what do Iknow..............

You could turn the oil off on the oiler, but I have had 2 Sporsters (72 and 77) and to be honest I can't remember if they both had one or not. Of course that was the trick to get the oil close to the chain without touching it.
Blew up the Sportster I have now and the girl on the back had a white leather coat on, what a mess that oil did to that coat but we got it cleaned good as it was before. I was reading somewhere that there were only 12,900 XLs sold in 1977. Just hanging out at XLForum.net and there are still a bunch on the road
Just pulled the 77s manual and it says the oiler is on there. Maybe I took it off or plugged it who knows.

I was told you didn't have to oil them from someone else, but then heard here that they are supposed to be, lightly. As I posted earlier, before I broke it down (my xlch) and did a bunch of work to it, I always thought it had a chain oiler and that it was just way out of adjustment, like it was laying it on way too thick. Turns out, no oiler, just a few good leaks. Gotta love the AMF's, right?
I was out on it once with a girlfriend (Denise) that was wearing white shoes. We got to our first stop and she saw her shoes, right one in particular, she was not happy. She did love that bike though. All she ever said when we were on it was "faster". I think she meant the rpm more then the mph, but what do Iknow..............

O-ring chain only needs very light surface coating of machine oil. On my metric sportbikes you only have to clean it with a rag and WD-40 or Kerosene and wipe all the surface dirt off...first, then the light coating of oil. Once or twice a year is all you need. :s

I'd check the sprockets that is one thing I think helped me as I put new sprockets on and then the new chain. Bad sprokets with pointed teeth will damage even a new chain. Plus you get to decide what teeth combo you want to move to. Seems like I went up one in front and down one in back, but it could have been the other way. I wanted a light to light brawler

Back